• 4 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By geisterwald
  • 2 Post By Leeatl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can gravel have an effect on nitrates ?

My 3 tanks used to run the same as far as nitrates go , 20-40 ppm , and all had general aquarium gravel as substrate . I changed 2 of them to Black Diamond Blasting Grit a month or so ago and when I tested last night those 2 were 10-20 ppm and the one with gravel still was 40+ ppm . They are not identical tanks and I know that each tank is different , but each has about the same bio load , plant mass , feeding , and maint . I will get the nitrates back where they belong , but I was just curious if the gravel may have something to do with it . If so I will change it to BDBS too even though it will be a huge job...lol .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not necessarily the substrate, but there could've been stuff in your gravel that was decaying contributing to higher nitrates and fresh substrate removed that material...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Gravel has a higher CEC than sand, it makes sense to me that there'd be more rotting stuff in it that you couldn't necessarily get to. Not much gets into sand, most everything just stays on top. Thus, more nitrates with gravel, but it's not the gravel itself.
jaliberti and jaliberti like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys . That is what I was thinking too . I will vacuum more and get them down and I will have to start seriously thinking of changing to BDBS . Coincidentally there is a thread on another forum on just this subject that was started right after I started this one and the replies there were along the same lines . I just found it interesting that the BDBS tanks had such lower nitrates . Another thing learned I guess . Thanks again .
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Thanks guys . That is what I was thinking too . I will vacuum more and get them down and I will have to start seriously thinking of changing to BDBS . Coincidentally there is a thread on another forum on just this subject that was started right after I started this one and the replies there were along the same lines . I just found it interesting that the BDBS tanks had such lower nitrates . Another thing learned I guess . Thanks again .
To clarify, it's not that sand tanks inherently have lower nitrates than gravel, it's that you lost a lot of detritus in changing to sand, and water flow will clean up more from sand than gravel (causing less detritus buildup).

You have the same conditions for generating nitrates regardless of substrate, but nobody wants to watch the film of bacteria grow on their sand. You don't see most of that with gravel, so you don't try to clean it up as much

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode