GH through the roof! Why??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question GH through the roof! Why???

I live in the Seattle area where the water is soft, around 2-3 degrees GH out of the tap.

I have two high tech tanks, a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. Both have something that is causing the GH to skyrocket and I am not sure what it could be.

My 10 gallon has the highest hardness, I stopped counting at 45 drops from my test bottle!

Temperature: 78F
PH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: ~50ppm (I never can read the color chart)

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black and black aquarium gravel (have this same substrate in a low tech tank w/ normal, low GH)
Hardscape: Driftwood, slate stone

My 29 gallon tested around 17 degrees GH

PH: 6.4
Nitrates: ~50 (again, it was red)

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Red and small rock from the aquarium store
Hardscape: Driftwood

I feed with Simple Green from Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds (2x per week) and run 2-5bps CO2 per tank.

Any insight or help into figuring out what is causing the GH to skyrocket in these two tanks would be extremely helpful!

-SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Could it be the rock? Did you soak it/test the GH before putting it in the tank? Edit: I mean the rocks in either tank.

Last edited by geisterwald; 08-17-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: both rocks
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are you sure that rock in your 10g is actually slate? that's the only thing i can think of that could cause your gh to go up that high

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What does tap water test at for GH Today?(not last month)
Are you using seachem equilibrium? GH booster,or excess micro nutrient's that may contain magnesium?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
Could it be the rock? Did you soak it/test the GH before putting it in the tank? Edit: I mean the rocks in either tank.
I didn't test anything when I set these up. However, I'm using the same substrate that's in the 10g in my quarantine tank also and the GH is 4 there. There is no wood or stone otherwise in there either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
are you sure that rock in your 10g is actually slate? that's the only thing i can think of that could cause your gh to go up that high
Bought it from Petco as such, have some in my Turtle tank w/ river rock substrate and slate decor... Just tested the GH in it and it was 13 so the slate is a suspect... but I don't have it in my 29g is the thing. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
What does tap water test at for GH Today?(not last month)
Are you using seachem equilibrium? GH booster,or excess micro nutrient's that may contain magnesium?
Tap water GH today is 2. Not using anything besides the Simple Green and Seachem Iron to supplement.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat79 View Post
Bought it from Petco as such, have some in my Turtle tank w/ river rock substrate and slate decor... Just tested the GH in it and it was 13 so the slate is a suspect... but I don't have it in my 29g is the thing. Weird.

Tap water GH today is 2. Not using anything besides the Simple Green and Seachem Iron to supplement.
slate should be inert, petco probably mislabeled

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
slate should be inert, petco probably mislabeled
Looks like every other piece of slate I've come across, no sparkly or shiny bits whatsoever.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Something being added to the tank or in the tank is increasing the hardness.
Calcium/magnesium are the mineral's that make up the GH and influence pH.
Are you sure your not measuring KH?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Looks like every other piece of slate I've come across, no sparkly or shiny bits whatsoever.
I had seriryu in my tank and it raised the GH through the roof. As soon as I took it out and did a 50% water change GH went waaaay down. You should take out the rock, do a water change and see what happens.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sparkly and shiny bits in slate will usually be micas, and won't affect gH. There are some slates though, which can contain calcium. One way to check would be to drip a few drops of HCL on the rock. It's hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid, in most buying supply stores. Important to note here, though, is remove the rock first, test, and thoroughly wash before putting it back in the tank. If there is calcium, the rock will fizz.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area where the water is soft, around 2-3 degrees GH out of the tap.

I have two high tech tanks, a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. Both have something that is causing the GH to skyrocket and I am not sure what it could be.

My 10 gallon has the highest hardness, I stopped counting at 45 drops from my test bottle!

PH: 6.8
Nitrates: ~50ppm (I never can read the color chart)

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black and black aquarium gravel (have this same substrate in a low tech tank w/ normal, low GH)
Hardscape: Driftwood, slate stone

My 29 gallon tested around 17 degrees GH

PH: 6.4
Nitrates: ~50 (again, it was red)

Substrate: Seachem Flourite Red and small rock from the aquarium store
Hardscape: Driftwood

I feed with Simple Green from Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds (2x per week) and run 2-5bps CO2 per tank.

Any insight or help into figuring out what is causing the GH to skyrocket in these two tanks would be extremely helpful!

-SG
Hi Scapegoat79,

Welcome to TPT (and 'airstone')

First of all I would contact Cory at Aquarium Co-op and find out about the ingredients in the Simple Green, specifically if there are any Ca and Mg compounds - those can definitely increase dGH.

Secondly, there appears to be substantially more rock/stone/slate in the 10 gallon verses the 29 gallon on a per gallon basis....so the stone becomes a suspect. I would remove a piece of stone, put it in a small glass container with enough water to cover it, and stir the water and measure the dGH once a week for a month....is the dGH climbing substantially?

A couple of other questions: do you have a lot of evaporation happening that requires water replenishment?; do you do weekly water changes weekly; if so how much?

Hope to see you at a GSAS meeting sometime! -Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Scapegoat79,

Welcome to TPT (and 'airstone')

First of all I would contact Cory at Aquarium Co-op and find out about the ingredients in the Simple Green, specifically if there are any Ca and Mg compounds - those can definitely increase dGH.

Secondly, there appears to be substantially more rock/stone/slate in the 10 gallon verses the 29 gallon on a per gallon basis....so the stone becomes a suspect. I would remove a piece of stone, put it in a small glass container with enough water to cover it, and stir the water and measure the dGH once a week for a month....is the dGH climbing substantially?

A couple of other questions: do you have a lot of evaporation happening that requires water replenishment?; do you do weekly water changes weekly; if so how much?

Hope to see you at a GSAS meeting sometime! -Roy

Easy Green is an all in one liquid fertilizer which does contain some Mg(0.4%) but you wouldnt get that large of an increase in GH if you dumped the entire bottle in there, let alone the suggested dosing amount.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Maybe I missed it but, how often do you don't WC's? and How much? Do you do top offs with tap or RO?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Planted Member

I highly suspect the rock. Especially with your pH being on the acidic side. I have a 6 gallon fluval edge in which I used a heavy amount of seiryu stone, the substrate also being fluorite black and my GH was constantly skyrocketing. Being that it's an edge, which such a small opening, it took me weeks and a good amount of reef glue to scape. Considering the amount of time I put in on it I decided to try to find a way around the GH problem which I believe (fingers crossed) I have. The solution: RODI water.
I purchased an RODI system from AquaFX. I use Seachem's Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer to target my pH and forgo any use of products such as Equilibrium. Doing so has stabilized my GH to about 8 dkh.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern8 View Post
I highly suspect the rock. Especially with your pH being on the acidic side. I have a 6 gallon fluval edge in which I used a heavy amount of seiryu stone, the substrate also being fluorite black and my GH was constantly skyrocketing. Being that it's an edge, which such a small opening, it took me weeks and a good amount of reef glue to scape. Considering the amount of time I put in on it I decided to try to find a way around the GH problem which I believe (fingers crossed) I have. The solution: RODI water.
I purchased an RODI system from AquaFX. I use Seachem's Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer to target my pH and forgo any use of products such as Equilibrium. Doing so has stabilized my GH to about 8 dkh.
Careful on the buffers I've heard it increased phosphate like crazy.
@Smooch had a tread on it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode