Pumping Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pumping Co2

Been searching for info all over the net but nobody seems to put it in plain sight. How to setup co2 injection with bubbler. How can you run co2 without risk of killing all the fish. Should I run co2 with an air bubbler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When you use CO2 there is always a risk of harming the fish, but that risk is very small if you monitor the CO2 regularly. There are two basic CO2 systems, pressurized CO2 or Do It Yourself (DIY) CO2. With DIY CO2 on a tank bigger than about 20 gallons, you have very little risk of harming the fish, because it takes a big effort to get that much CO2 from DIY systems. In either type of system you can use a "drop checker" to give you an indication of about how much CO2 you have in the water, so you can avoid getting too much. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/26...er-works~.html

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Risk is all around and we just have to watch carefully and accept that we may fail at times.
One way to reduce the risk is to begin adding the CO2 slowly and then only adjusting it higher when we can be there to watch the fish for signs that we may be adding more than they are ready to adapt to at that time. Increasing the amount and not watching can let us overshoot and that is bad!
For most cases thing get out of order when we are changing things. We leave leaks or we turning it just a bit too far. One way to avoid too far is to not force the issue so close. Letting the plants have a little less than they might use can leave the fish a bit more room to cover for our mistakes?
A good way to prevent gassing fish but expensive? A PH controller can stop flow at a certain level and if set correctly, that can save fish even when we totally miss the mark.

Info on what size tank and how you get the CO2 in may get more specific answers.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should the air pump be on with co2 injection? Or keep it off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teishokue View Post
Should the air pump be on with co2 injection? Or keep it off.
There is no singular answer as "it depends". And it depends on your specific set up. Tank size, water parameters, plant and fish load, type of filter, injection type and amount, periods of light and co2 on and off all play a role.

Before you make a decision you can live with,

1. Ask yourself what an air bubbler does
2. Consider that with the lights off, both plants and fish consume O2 and produce CO2.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If I had a large plant mass (subjective term for sure) ,and few fishes,,then an air bubbler would not be high on my must have list for the plant's can produce enough oxygen during the day, to easily carry the fish through the night without fear of low oxygen level's.
If I had same large plant mass,and heavily stocked tank full of fishes however,then I might opt to run the air bubbler or air stone only at night when plant's are using up oxygen that they may need, and fishes might find it lacking.
If I had very few plant's ,very few fish,the filter moving water throughout the tank would be all I would want for lot's of folk's run fish only tank's with no plant's, in just such a way.
Opinions vary.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay here's the stock.
4.57 gal tank
2 betta macrostomas. 4 neon tetra. 3 -5" wendilov. And 3 -5" Java fern. 5 -3" buce Thea blue..

Leaf litter (IAL)
Sponge filter.

Pure distilled water
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Please excuse me, but I see red flags here all over the place.

< 5g tank with pure distilled water - any pH buffer? Are you positive you can add co2 in exact ammount?

The listed plants will not get much, if anything, from the added co2 at a significant risk. They are also not great o2 producers or nutrients users. Their impact on water quality is marginal.

Sponge filter - there must be a column of air rushing to the surface. What an additional bubbler will accomplish?

Please do excuse me for being dense, but this just does not compute for me. What am I missing? If you are thinking of using co2 to control algae then you are on the wrong path here. Maybe take a step back and think first about what you are trying to accomplish or ask a more direct question?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode