Can someone please check my tap water for me? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can someone please check my tap water for me?

Hi, I have just signed up to your forum, this is my first post so I hope it goes ok.
I would like to ask people to take a look at the major players in my tap water, I live in Adelaide South Australia (but from the UK) so I hope you don't mind me being here, this is the site I use to do all my research.
I got my local water company to send a tap water data request through after finding it difficult to work out Ca and Mg from using a GH and Ca test kit.
I am currently doing my best to set up a planted tank with pressurised CO2 and dosing EI, its going ok but not great, I research and tweek and research and tweek but its like groundhog day......sigh

Anyway, what I would like to ask you very kind people is will you take a look at my tap water and tell me what I need to do with it for giving a good environment for a general planted tank, I have a RO DI unit that I use to fill my top off tank and I also have bicarb, Ca, Mg, Reconstitute RO and dry ferts.
Do you think its ok as it is but to add something to it or is it best mixed with some RO or should I not use it at all?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Alkalinityas Calcium Carbonate 47.361 mg/L

Bicarbonate 57.833mg/L
Barium total 0.026 mg/L

Boron 0.047mg/L

Bromide0.051 mg/L

Calcium19.391 mg/L

CalciumHardness as CaCO3 46.1994 mg/L

Chloride151.916 mg/L

Chlorides totalas NaCl 140.257 mg/L

Chlorinefree 0.342 mg/L

Chlorinetotal 0.469 mg/L

Copper total0.031 mg/L

Cyanide asCN total <0.05 mg/L

DissolvedOxygen 9.278 mg/L

Dissolvedsolids by calculation 235.176 mg/L

Fluoride0.895 mg/L

Iron soluble0.0045 mg/L

Magnesium10.549 mg/L

Magnesium hardnessas CaCo3 43.500 mg/L

Manganesesoluble 0.0005 mg/L

Manganesetotal 0.0014 mg/L

Molybdenumtotal 0.0001 mg/L

Monochloramine0.0075 mg/L

Nickel total0.0004 mg/L

Nitrate+Nitriteas N 0.0280 mg/L

Nitrate +Nitrite as NO3 0.114 mg/L

Nitrate asnitrogen 0.0002 mg/L

Noncarbonatehardness as CaCO3 45.611 mg/L

pH 7.3

Phosphorusfilterable reactive as P 0.0086 mg/l

Phosphoroustotal 0.006 mg/L

Potassium3.181 mg/L

Silicareactive 2.093 mg/L

Sodium48.419 mg/L

Sulphate36.866 mg/L

TKN asNitrogen 0.173 mg/L

Total dissolvedsolids 264.857 mg/L

Totalhardness as CaCO3 91.861 mg/L

Zinc 0.0048mg/L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Anyone, Anything Please?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Fish cares more about the water params. Some plants are picky but not most. Looks like you have hard water. Keep fish that like those params. I guess rainbow fish should work fine for you.

You can mix RO water to make it less hard for more variety of fishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had missed the earlier post. Sorry. And do not feel that we are reluctant because you are down under. I like the idea of many people from many areas. We all have different water anyway so we might as well lokk at what is found 2000-10000 miles out!
What may have slowed response is the detail of the report. I'm a bit lost when it get down to that level of detail.
Some general thoughts instead?
I find fish and plants to be less strict about requirements than reading might make me believe. I find there are so many plants and fish, that I go a different way with choosing. I know I have hard alkaline water as we have limestone ledges and the underground is solid limestone. So I do lean toward keeping the fish who like hard alkaline like African Cichlids. But then I also find no trouble raising the fish who like other water like Central American cichlids.
I use a bit more freewheeling style on choosing plants and I am sure that my standards are not as high as some. I look at my tanks as simple indoor gardens and do not require super performance. That frees me to enjoy more as I work and worry less. If a plant fails, I pitch it and try a different type. So far, most have agreed to stay!
I suggest NOT trying to fit the water to the plants/fish as that can be very difficult to keep steady and really time consuming as well as expensive. I far prefer to try it and then adjust the plants and fish if they totally refuse to perform. There are many really tough sorts in each group so I do not take the fun out by going for the difficult types.

But then certainly keep asking those questions as that is the lifeblood of forums!
jr125 and jr125 like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode