High Nitrates in new planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Savetheplants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
High Nitrates in new planted tank

I have a 12 gallon long which is heavily planted (pretty much out of space for anymore).

I am using ADA aquasoil Amazonia, very high light, CO2, pps pro ferts (dosing daily according to green leaf aquariums recommended for high light/co2), and a daily does of excell.

I am using distilled water (0 tds) and reconsituting with slaty shrimp gh/kh.

PH: 6-6.4
Ammonia: 1-2ppm
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40pmm
Tds:150-170

All of my plants have been thriving. I purchased all of them online and except for two of them all came from tissue culture.

I had read that my ammonia would be high, followed by higher levels of nitrites, and then nitrates as the bacterial colonies develop and the tank cycles.

As I said the plants are growing unexpectedly fast. Also all of the plants that have the potential to be red are quickly changing color. I also have 0 algae so far.

I used plain distilled water for top offs. And a 40-50% water change each week.

I'm not too worried about it since everything is going so well, just very curious as to why my nitrates would be so high in a new tank.

I also tested the distilled water, it came up 0 in nitrates.

And before someone says it the water does not contain any copper. Most distilled water does not use copper pipes anymore as glass is a cheaper alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Plants have to 'work' to process nitrates....I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that your dosing is such they just don't need the nitrates.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

Your Nitrate is not insanely high. You'll reign it in with time. You don't need to dose KNO3 for the time being. Add a little more K2SO4 or KCL to make up for the lost K in the KNO3. I think this is an indication that your tank has cycled.
Aenglaan and Aenglaan like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

I have approx 40ppm Nitrates in my tank. Hasnt caused me any problems! Track it over time, see what it does!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
How new/old is this setup?

You're adding nitrates by dosing fertilizers. If this is an established tank; I'd guess you're dosing more than whats really required for this setup.

I think the better questions to be asking are why are you using distilled water? Why are you injecting co2 and dosing excel? Why are you doing such large weekly water changes when dosing PPS?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

I would think that your tank is already cycled if those are your readings.

Perhaps someone else can correct me, but the recommended ppm for Nitrate is around 20-30 for the type of tank you have?

On a side note, I would love to see what the tank looks like.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenglaan View Post
I would think that your tank is already cycled if those are your readings.

Perhaps someone else can correct me, but the recommended ppm for Nitrate is around 20-30 for the type of tank you have?

On a side note, I would love to see what the tank looks like.
No, the tank isn't cycled. They have 1-2 ppm ammonia (!!) and the nitrates are coming from the fertilizers they're dosing, not from nitrifying bacteria. It seems like they're in just the first stages of the cycle, as there aren't any nitrites.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode