Just trying to sort-out the N,P,K,KN03,KH2P04,K2S04... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just trying to sort-out the N,P,K,KN03,KH2P04,K2S04...

Tell me where I'm wrong when talking about macros (N,P,K)
N = Nitrogen, = KN04 = Potassium Nitrate
P = Phosphorous = KH2P04 = Mono Potassium Phosphate
K = Potassium = K2S04 = Potassium Sulfate

These terms seem to be mixed-up in my tiny brain.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

seems good to me . . . its the micros that got me all messed up.

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tiny brains work slow

Did a little more research...

KN03 supplies N & K
KH2P04 supplies P & K
K2S04 supplies K

This is why some folks use KN03 & KH2P04 for their macros & don't need K2S04 at all. I'm getting there

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
KH2PO4 is basically for P. You use such a small amount that the K is negliable. You likely on need K2SO4 if you are not dosing KNO3 due to a heavy bioload.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
Tiny brains work slow

Did a little more research...

KN03 supplies N & K
KH2P04 supplies P & K
K2S04 supplies K
This is correct. A small note, for nomenclature purposes (I am not sure if it is just the font used), but it is KNO3 (it is a capital letter 'O', not a zero).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
This is correct. A small note, for nomenclature purposes (I am not sure if it is just the font used), but it is KNO3 (it is a capital letter 'O', not a zero).
Chemistry was one reason I decided to major in Business & Computers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

ok, i dont mean to jack your thread, but your thought process is the same as mine. If you have a tiny bioload could you dose just KNO3, and KH2PO4? If the KNO3 doses for N, and K, then all you need is the KH2PO4 for P right? and then all you need to worry about is dosing for micros?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Albright View Post
ok, i dont mean to jack your thread, but your thought process is the same as mine. If you have a tiny bioload could you dose just KNO3, and KH2PO4? If the KNO3 doses for N, and K, then all you need is the KH2PO4 for P right? and then all you need to worry about is dosing for micros?
Yes, many people just dose KNO3 and KH2PO4 alone for macros. Of course, then all you have to worry about is micros, as you mentioned.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Yes folks! It can be a bit crazy, but there is Potassium in all of the above. The level of K uptake can vary from tank to tank, so its need can be demanding in some situations more than others.

That said, K is the one thing that is unnatural to a planted tank. In KNO3 (yes its not a zero, its a letter), the N, Nitrogen, is what we are after. This can be naturally occuring in most aquariums through the basic Cycle. Ammonia (or ammonium) is providing N, Nitrite provides N and then of course Nitrate. P can be acquired through most fish foods.

So, in a lower tech lower light set up, sometimes dosing is not even needed since most of the nutrients can be had from what is already ongoing. The K can be supplemented in any form just to keep things nice and green.

In higher light setups, the demand for additional nutrients will go up, thus the supplementation of the standard macros (I incude C in the Macro grouping since Carbon is a major component of photosysnthesis, but others may disagree with me).

We are fortunate when we "mix our own" chemicals because the K is in so many compounds, thus the need to always use K2SO4 is subjective and not always needed when using other compounds.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode