What els can I use - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What els can I use

Is there a bigger size Bottle of API 6.5 buffer I can get or is there something els I can use. My water ph is 8.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:43 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is generally advisable to not use pH buffers, as they will cause your water parameters to fluctuate wildly. I would just skip it entirely.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your best bet is almond leaves or peat moss. Both may release tannins, but activated carbon or purigen will help clear that up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
As long as it's a stable 8.0, I wouldn't even concern myself over ph.

I bought a bottle of ph-up and ph-down about 3 years ago when I first started the hobby. I've never opened either of them.

To echo DarkBlade, your ph will fluctuate drastically with those ph buffers.

Every/any amount of water you put in your tank will have to be buffered exactly right every time before it goes in your tank, including top-off water. Way to much hassle for what ph means to our modern day setups and livestock.

What are you doing that you need a ph of 6.5? If you really need that soft water, perhaps an ro/di unit is in order? Just remineralize to your prefered paramters and dump it in then top of with fresh ro/di. It would be cheaper in the long run than buying bottles of API. For smaller tanks, re-mineralizing distilled water would work equally as well as ro/di water.

Or you could use the natural organics route like Natemcnutty suggested, probably the cheapest easiest method depending on how large your tank is.

Pressurized Co2 will also lower ph very well.

Natemcnutty is also spot on for recommending purigen for tannin absorption. Works great and you can recharge it overnight with bleech-water and Prime.

All in all though, I wouldn't even worry about ph unless you know for a fact that it is causing issues. Then take natural steps in lowering it.

Now, If it were me and I absolutely needed at least a 1.5 drop in ph, I would use ro/di water in conjuction with pressurized co2. Now that's if I NEEDED that drop. I'm talking about atleast a $500 bill (the way I shop) just to drop 1.5 ph. The only way I'd ever consider that is if I had a big discus tank or some very tempermental soft-water plants to justify the cost of initial setup, if I didn't already have the equipment.

Sorry for the rant there but if your desired ph isn't absolutely crucial, I wouldn't worry about it as long as your current ph is stable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode