2Likes
  • 2 Post By skystrife
  • 2 Post By Savetheplants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question gH vs. kH (Drifting Apart)

When I started into the hobby I used to see where my hardness levels were at, just so I know my area. The gH and kH were always close in numerical value to each other...but I tested my tanks recently and in one of them they are WAY apart from one another. Is this bad?

My oldest/most healthy tank (5G-Betta-RCS) has a gH of 75ppm and kH of 35ppm

My 4 month old tank (5G-RCS) has a gH of 140ppm and a kH of 52ppm...I am also loosing RCS the last week or two.

For the most part I practice a walstad method, my tanks are topless and I believe this is also a key to it. The evaporation allows fresh water to be constantly added, along with trace elements (and Prime). Maybe this is why the gH was on the rise? I do not have nitrate issues so the only thing I need to do a water change for is TDS if I am topping the tank off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you are using tap water for top offs, this is probably the source of the hardness increase. The minerals in the water will remain in the tank and only the water evaporates. When we replace it with water with minerals in it, the overall hardness increases as a result.

You could try using RO water for topping off, if you have it available.

That being said, it's probably not a huge deal unless you feel the need to adapt the parameters for the livestock being kept.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Would this be why my red cherry shrimp are dying? The 140ppm gH?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Would this be why my red cherry shrimp are dying? The 140ppm gH?
I doubt it. They can handle much higher gH than that, but they don't handle fast changes well. Without regular PWC's, maybe you are getting high concentrations of certain minerals or organic material they aren't handling well?

For example, there is trace copper in most water as well as the trace ferts you are using. Over a long enough time, that could build up to toxic levels. A PWC cleans that up, but how often would depend on how long it takes for that to build up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I doubt it. They can handle much higher gH than that, but they don't handle fast changes well. Without regular PWC's, maybe you are getting high concentrations of certain minerals or organic material they aren't handling well?

For example, there is trace copper in most water as well as the trace ferts you are using. Over a long enough time, that could build up to toxic levels. A PWC cleans that up, but how often would depend on how long it takes for that to build up.
Good advice, I do run Purigen in the tank hoping to remove traces. I will keep up on PWC. I heard frequent filter floss pad replacement is also effective at removing copper??

I tested my tap water:
gH - 70ppm
kH - 50ppm

This means the kH in my tanks are no different than my tap water only the gH is. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-01-2016 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Question: The kH in my tank is 15-20ppm lower than the top off water I add, is my tank "consuming" kH?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Question: The kH in my tank is 15-20ppm lower than the top off water I add, is my tank "consuming" kH?
I think so. I think it's your aerobic bacteria in the tank that does it. I don't understand the process but would like to read about it if somebody is willing to summarize it. Anyone out there, is denitrification what causes KH to drop? You're not injecting CO2 are you?
Teebo and Teebo like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savetheplants View Post
I think so. I think it's your aerobic bacteria in the tank that does it. I don't understand the process but would like to read about it if somebody is willing to summarize it. Anyone out there, is denitrification what causes KH to drop? You're not injecting CO2 are you?
I am very interested in the explanation as well! No I am not injecting any CO2 but I use the full lineup of Seachem products including Excel.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have been testing every other week for a while now, always 35ppm kH and the gH is always 90ppm. It has been a few weeks since I tested last and my kH is the same however my gH is now up at 140ppm. Not sure if it has been the AquaBlue Wizard or what but that is good for my red cherry shrimp I think? They are breeding like rabbits. Would be nice to get that kH up though...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode