• 2 Post By lotsalotls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Hard Water Blues

Water Parameters:

PH 8.2

KH 143.2 ppm (8 drops with the API test)

GH 196.9 ppm (11 drops with the API test)

Is this water even suitable to keep fish in? I have a 20L that I was hoping to make into a low-light, no fuss, no muss, planted, community tank for my toddler to enjoy. I was considering Neon Tetras, a Betta, and some sort of clean-up crew for the bottom. Am I out of luck?

The tank isn't cycled as of yet, I'm still working on gathering things for the hardscape, as well as plants.

Bump: Adding that I really do not want to mess with trying to alter the water parameters. Pre-Kids sure. But with a toddler to look after, making sure there are not whiplashes in water parameters is not on my list of fun things to do.

Unless someone out there can clue me in on a super easy/foolproof/mommy brain method of keeping the prams consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't worry about it, I have almost the same parameters and my fish do fine (bettas and glowlight tetras.) For the most part, keeping pH stable is more important than it being within the range wild fish would be used to.
Niyona and Niyona like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
After curing a concrete hardscape for 10 weeks I placed it in my tank.
Very similar issues. GH=18 & KH 14-16.
pH was around 7.8
This lasted for 18 months, now my norm is GH=10 & KH=8.

Tank was capable of growing many varieties of plants, mostly medium to low light.
I'll say that a few plants didn't make it, only about 5% though.

Fish, included guppies which did not fare well.
Other livebearers such as platies and swordtails went nuts.
Constant supply of baby fish, everywhere.

Inverts included nerites and amano shrimp, still have them all.
Ghost shrimp did not fare well.

This was just my experience, hope it helps.
I'm sure others will share too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't think it's a cause for huge concern. As long as they are stable the fish will be fine. My parameters are near identical to yours. My cherry shrimp and blue pearl shrimp bred like mad in my liquid rock water. As of now I have bettas, rams, rasboras, loaches, and cories and they are all thriving. I don't think I've ever had any hard water related casualties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys! I feel tons better. I'm going to have the LFS test for copper before I add any shrimps, just to be on the safe side.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
One relatively easy method for maintaining water parameters exactly where you want them w.r.t. hardness is to use RO water. There are two general strategies:

1. Do water changes with 100% RO water that is remineralized with some kind of GH booster. (Optionally KH, but I haven't bothered trying to raise it in something like 4 years.)

2. Do water changes with X% RO mixed with Y% tap water to achieve your target GH/KH levels.

I personally use #1, and for me this keeps the guesswork out of the parameter stability in my tank. I simply take my RO water and remineralize using my GH booster to a specific TDS (I already had a pen that came with the RO unit) that I manually tested to give me my target GH (around 5-6 degrees).

I also prefer drinking RO water anyway, so this had no additional cost to me other than the GH booster, where a little will last me a long time.

-

-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's softer than my water here, you'll be fine for everything but the neons. Neons are softwater fish and dissections done on them when kept in hard water have found deposits in their kidneys. The cardinals I tried keeping lasted about a year and then didn't make it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode