I can't seem to keep my nitrates down. Need help please - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Fishly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't seem to keep my nitrates down. Need help please

Ok, so like the title says I need some help an guidance. I have a 90g tank that's been up an running for over 2 years and I always seem to be battling high nitrates. I'm at 80-90ppm. I do EI dosing an I've stopped dosing no3, I do weekly WC's of 50-60% The water that I'm adding it tap and the no3 is about 1-2ppm. I'm adding co2 at more then a 1 ph drop and I'm pretty sure I have plenty of flow seeing that i use an fx5 filter plus 2 hydor pumps.
What am I missing or doing wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Overstocked?
Overfeeding?
How often to you clean your filters?
Any mulm or crud laying on the bottom of the tank?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
Overstocked?

Overfeeding?

How often to you clean your filters?

Any mulm or crud laying on the bottom of the tank?

Overstocked, possibly I'm sure there's close to 40 fish in here. I feed every other day, so I'm not sure if that's over feeding or not. I try an clean my filter every month and I don't really do much to the bottom of the tank, there's not much room to clean down there

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have something contributing to your nitrates in the tank. Either something decaying in the substrate/filter (less likely) a high bio load or something else. If you are lightly planted your nitrate demand is lowerer so even with a light stocking nitrates can still build up.

Something to keep in mind if you were dosing kno3 and stopped, you are no longer adding as much potassium and if deficiencies begin to appear you might need something like k2so4 to make up for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
You have something contributing to your nitrates in the tank. Either something decaying in the substrate/filter (less likely) a high bio load or something else. If you are lightly planted your nitrate demand is lowerer so even with a light stocking nitrates can still build up.

Something to keep in mind if you were dosing kno3 and stopped, you are no longer adding as much potassium and if deficiencies begin to appear you might need something like k2so4 to make up for it.

Ya I started adding more k2so4 when I stopped the no3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Overstocked, possibly I'm sure there's close to 40 fish in here. I feed every other day, so I'm not sure if that's over feeding or not. I try an clean my filter every month and I don't really do much to the bottom of the tank, there's not much room to clean down there
What kind of fish? Big fish? Little fish? No, this is not Dr. Suess. LOL
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
What kind of fish? Big fish? Little fish? No, this is not Dr. Suess. LOL

Hahaha. They're all little fish. Like guppys, neons, rummynose an other small tetras
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think it's the fish themselves that are the problem unless they are really packed in.

High nitrates don't come from nowhere as theatermusic87 has pointed out.

I'd make mental notes of when you feed ( make sure all food is consumed within a few minutes) and do a surface vac. If lots of crud comes up, there is a good chance you found the cause of the nitrate issue.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
What's your substrate? It might be trapping fish poo.
KarenSoCal and KarenSoCal like this.

Proud member of
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
What's your substrate? It might be trapping fish poo.

I can't remember, I want to say Eco complete but I can't say for sure
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Just as a side note, I have just over 40 fish in my 75 gallon tank. Several are larger rainbows, several are pretty small serpae tetras.
In my opinion, I would think I have more fish mass per gallon than you do. I dont know your volume of plants but I have a pretty heavily planted tank but most of the plant mass is not fast growing. I dose PPS Pro and my nitrate levels usually run around 40ppm now that I have reduced feeding to once per day.

All that said, I suspect like the others there is something else going on in your tank because it sounds like your feeding / filter maintenance is pretty good.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are your nitrates constant throughout the week? If they increase your plans aren't keeping up with the nitrates load. , In this case water changes are the only way to immediately lower them, though additional plant growth will help in the long run. If you nitrates level is constant or goes down slightly, you plants are keeping up and I would just continue weekly water changes until the nitrates drop back to the level you want.

Your nitrate level isn't quite high enough for major concern as long as it doesn't keep going up. Your plants will continue to grow and use more nitrate and when they finally have dropped enough you can go back to dosing them at a reduced amount

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Are your nitrates constant throughout the week? If they increase your plans aren't keeping up with the nitrates load. , In this case water changes are the only way to immediately lower them, though additional plant growth will help in the long run. If you nitrates level is constant or goes down slightly, you plants are keeping up and I would just continue weekly water changes until the nitrates drop back to the level you want.

Your nitrate level isn't quite high enough for major concern as long as it doesn't keep going up. Your plants will continue to grow and use more nitrate and when they finally have dropped enough you can go back to dosing them at a reduced amount

I just did a water change so I'll take a reading then check it through out the week

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode