Sulfate Levels? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sulfate Levels?

I've tried to search everywhere, but I can't find anything about what sulfate levels should be in a planted tank...I'm just supposed to trust these EI Indexes that don't tell you how much the dosing would increase levels by. I just need a general idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Zorfox has a nutrient calculator that will tell you build up over time. And if you use the custom dosing portion it'll tell you what ppm of sulfur you're adding when you use k2so4, you can use that number to plot accumulation based on dosing schedule and water changes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmonk View Post
I'm just supposed to trust these EI Indexes that don't tell you how much the dosing would increase levels by. I just need a general idea.
Depens on substance you dose to your aquarium, so nobody can really tell you without that information. For example you can add Mg from MgSO4 or MgCl2. S is a macronutrient for plants just like N, P, K. We just do not worry about it since there are plenty of sources for it.

You can find the conc. of S of your dose by using this calculator:
Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Depens on substance you dose to your aquarium, so nobody can really tell you without that information. For example you can add Mg from MgSO4 or MgCl2. S is a macronutrient for plants just like N, P, K. We just do not worry about it since there are plenty of sources for it.

You can find the conc. of S of your dose by using this calculator:
Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Everywhere I've read has said that it is a micronutrient, and it can be toxic when it is too high. However, studies I've read have said that limit ranges from 15-500ppm...

Bump: And again, just to be clear, I am wanting to know what the TARGET range should be, calculating how much the dose would increase it by isn't too hard, but it is kind of a pain that they don't tell you usually...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

I do not know where you have read that S is a micronutrient. If it is required in the ranges you suggested it is definately not. Micronutrients are mostly in the ppb or lets say 1-2ppm.

Here is an abstract from an article published in a scientific plant biology journal that states S, from SO4 is a macro: Physiological functions of mineral macronutrients. - PubMed - NCBI

If you dose cations Mg+ etc, you dose anions eg (SO4)2- , SO4 will pretty much be in there unless you go to extremes to avoid it.

I cannot give you a scientific determined range for aquatic plants atm , but I have more than 31-62ppm S in my aquariums and plants are fine.

On hiatus till later this year
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

I dose potassium sulphate too so I am pretty sure I have more sulphate than I need. That said with the regular water changes mandated by EI I highly doubt it will reach a toxic level, sulphate is pretty benign to begin with. Some water sources are also naturally high in sulphate. I also use a TDS pen to monitor my tank water and I would know if there is excessive accumulation.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmonk View Post
I've tried to search everywhere, but I can't find anything about what sulfate levels should be in a planted tank...I'm just supposed to trust these EI Indexes that don't tell you how much the dosing would increase levels by. I just need a general idea.
plant use SO4 similar to PO4

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode