Iron sand and adding fertilisers - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iron sand and adding fertilisers

Hello, please forgive me, I am new to keeping planted aquariums and new to this forum. Please let me know if I have posted correctly.

My tank has iron sand and fluvel plant substrate. A bunch of crypts, Anubis, val, Java fern and big fat goldfish. (Yes they leave the plants alone)

I want to start adding fluvel plant micro nutrients to it, but I am concerned the iron in the bottle and the iron sand will be too much for my plants but also my fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fe in the sand is mostly in forms that are not bioavailable, like Fe3O4. Think of it like Ca in your plate does not help your bones. That means plants cannot use it directly. Fluval stratum might have more bioavailable micronutrients. However, if you dose as described you should not have problems.

The plants you have chosen are pretty hardy and with the goldfish in there they might have enough macronutrients under low light . Why do you want to add more iron? Are new leaves pale?

PS yes you posted in the right place

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just wanted to add some micro nutrients to cover all my bases. And all the ones available from my aquarium have iron in it. Was just concerned it would be too much.

But sounds like it's okay if the sand is not bioavailable.

Another reason I started to look into what nutrients I may be lacking is that My java fern is suffering at the moment. It's very pale and thin.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://youtu.be/_VAJYmjqRfk

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lovely goldfish, now I miss mine... those cute hungry faces

I could not see the javafern sorry looked a couple of times. Could you perhaps reference a timepoint where it is visible ?

Some plants do have yellowish leaves but they also don't look established... are they uprooted often ? I guess a standard micronutrient dose every now and then will not hurt.

The algae problem is also visible and may damage the Anubias. You could try spot dosing SMALL amounts of Excel or hydrogen peroxide over it with filter/airpump off. Fast growing plants such as ceratophyllum demersum or egeria densa will also help. Both were goldfish safe in my pond. You could also try using floating plants, Pistia sp. should look nice in the setup.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode