issues getting drop checker green - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
issues getting drop checker green

i have a 5 lb bottle of c02 with an ista regulator with bubble counter, one way valve and sollinoid... i have my bottle running to my in line reactor about half way up the water on the back of the tank.... my issue is.... if i crank up the c02 it fills the reactor with gas and starts throwing bubbles in the tank.... i have the co2 set so there is almost no bubbles coming in the tank and the reactor is working max efficency.... how can i throw more c02 at the tank to get my drop checker green? bigger reactor? more water flow? most my drop checker has changes is just a slight bit green but still blue.... this is a 130G aquarium as well

130G tank, DIY paintball co2 injection, inline co2 reactor, Eheim 2217,fluval g6 Eheim pimp #437, 2x 54w 48" aquaticlife T5HO 3 300w heater, 3 bags play sand java fern, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica', Anubias barteri (nana,) Hygrophila difformis (wisteria), Sagittaria platyphylla, Rotala indica (Rotala roundifolia), Amazon sword 3 bala shark, 3 clown loach, 8 ottos, Red tailed black shark, 3 swordtails, Malasian trumpet snails

The Fraternity of Dirt #181
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It takes a large bubble rate of CO2 to appreciably raise the amount of CO2 in a 130 gallon tank. Probably around 10 bubbles per second. I doubt that you are using that much. If you light intensity is below about 40 PAR or so, even a small amount of added CO2 will do your plants a lot of good, so maybe you don't need a green drop checker reading.

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know if it could help, but I had bad (blue) readings in my dropchecker when I had it just in a corner where the water almost did not moved. When I moved it to the middle where I know the water flows (there is a current crossing there) the drop checker has changed to green.

If this is not the problem, I think that a bigger reactor should help (maybe external), but the CO2 will be consumed faster. I would estimate the consumption with the current setup to see if it is worth.

I guess you don't have water surface agitation, neither too much aeration, isn't? CO2 loss could be another explanation.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

I had the same issue. I had to add another reactor in series. The issue that you do not have sufficient 'residence time' for the CO2 to dissolve in water. Adding an extra reactor in series will atleast double the residence time. Another way to increase the time would be slow down the water flow through the reactor. I am not sure how you would do this if you have a canister filter
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
I had the same issue. I had to add another reactor in series. The issue that you do not have sufficient 'residence time' for the CO2 to dissolve in water. Adding an extra reactor in series will atleast double the residence time. Another way to increase the time would be slow down the water flow through the reactor. I am not sure how you would do this if you have a canister filter
The larger the diameter of the reactor body the slower the water moves through it. If you have the room for a larger diameter reactor, and don't go hog wild in making it larger, this should work.

Hoppy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Algae Grower

I don't know which kind of reactor you have, but if it is 'empty' you could increase the dissolving performance by increasing turbulence: for example filling the reactor with plastic tube pieces/bits, or ranurated balls, etc. Of course this would cause a flow reduction (due to high head losses), it is a matter of finding the balance. It could be, though that, depending on pressure/flow of your system, this would cause too much head loss, and then CO2 begin accumulate in the reactor. It should be tried in order to know.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What solution in drop checker?
When does CO2 come on in relation to light's?
How long into photo period before drop checker begins to turn green?
Move drop checker around High/low in the tank and note any changes?
Some of these issues can reveal a little or possibly help.
I don't use the gas but these are common question's to those with issues by those that do inject the gas. (Or so I have observed).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The larger the diameter of the reactor body the slower the water moves through it. If you have the room for a larger diameter reactor, and don't go hog wild in making it larger, this should work.
Hmm thats a great thought; never considered that! I have also noted that if there is too much turbulence, the bubbles become too small and then carried away into the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode