10g dosing suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 10g dosing suggestions

Ok, so I'm looking to start dosing a 10g I set up a few weeks ago. I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this will be the first time I've ever done ferts in a tank. I've done a little research on the topic, but I'd really appreciate some suggestions from you all.

Specs:
-10g tank
-2x24 watt current usa t5s
-DIY CO2
-substrate: dirt w/ sand cap
-medium plant load

The Flourish Trace and Flourish Iron I ordered from Amazon got here today, and I'm still waiting on a 1 lb. macro mix (equal parts KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4, KH2PO4).

Here's the question I have - I'd prefer to dose each fert only 1-2x per week, but most of the regimens I've seen online call for daily dosing. Can I pull off a more lax schedule? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on specific schedules I could use? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Algae Grower

Well your dosing will depend on lighting mostly, secondary Co2. 48watts of T5 lighting unless raised a good distance above the sub or with some floaters will definitely put you in high to very high lighting. Because you're in "high light" you will need consistent and high Co2 or algae will bloom because they will out compete your plants. With the high light and Co2 your plants will want to explode with growth and need A Lot of fertilizers you won't be able to get with only 1 or 2 or even 3 days of ferts. Counter intuitively, you want high amounts of ferts so your plants can out compete the algae. So no, you will need a full schedule of EI or PPs Pro dosing. anything less and you will have troubles.

NOW, if your lighting will be significantly raised or shielded with floaters and you are in the low/med range then you can dose 1-2x per week.

I started with low lighting and only dosed micros and fauna helped with macros. Once I went high light and Co2, plants with micros and minimal macros stated to have multiple deficiencies'. Went to full EI everything is great. Also, started with inconsistent/low Co2, 10g became an Algae farm. With sweet spot of Co2 and EI dosing everything is growing insanely fast.

Best of luck.
P.s Sorry if this post is incoherent or droning its 4am here. Plz feel free if you have anymore questions

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with something like this...

-macro mix - 3x/week
-trace, iron 2-3x/week
- 50% water change 1x/week

And just another question, why can't you just dose a lot at one time each week? Would that cause mad algae or something?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Algae View Post
Ok, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with something like this...

-macro mix - 3x/week
-trace, iron 2-3x/week
- 50% water change 1x/week

And just another question, why can't you just dose a lot at one time each week? Would that cause mad algae or something?
Excess nutrients is the point of EI dosing so your never lacking a nutrient so it wouldn't nessicssarly cause a lot af algae. maybe some. It will cause an overdose on some nutrients which is harmful to plants and animals, with inverts being more sensitive. There may be more to it that that but thats what I know.

Truthfully, look around the different forums here and the Barr Report. Tom Barr invented EI dosing. As I was taught Co2 is your gas and your lighting is the gas pedal, ferts are your oil. Your Co2 makes the plants go, lights how fast they will grow, and ferts make sure everything grows healthy. An out of balance machine will ultimately fail. Good growing!

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Algae View Post
Ok, so I'm looking to start dosing a 10g I set up a few weeks ago. I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this will be the first time I've ever done ferts in a tank. I've done a little research on the topic, but I'd really appreciate some suggestions from you all.

Specs:
-10g tank
-2x24 watt current usa t5s
-DIY CO2
-substrate: dirt w/ sand cap
-medium plant load

The Flourish Trace and Flourish Iron I ordered from Amazon got here today, and I'm still waiting on a 1 lb. macro mix (equal parts KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4, KH2PO4).

Here's the question I have - I'd prefer to dose each fert only 1-2x per week, but most of the regimens I've seen online call for daily dosing. Can I pull off a more lax schedule? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on specific schedules I could use? Thanks!
Definitely sir, dose 1-2x per week.. Daily dosing? Who says...
Its going to be easier on you and easier on the system?
research/or keep working your diy co2 batches, they're pretty inconsistent, but easily get the job done for what ur starting.

I'm not understanding though, how do yu have 2 x 24w's over a ten gallon?
shouldn't the number be like 14w's each bulb?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
research/or keep working your diy co2 batches, they're pretty inconsistent, but easily get the job done for what ur starting.

Yeah, it probably should. I neglected to mention that I'm running a fixture meant for a 29 gallon tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post

Yeah, it probably should. I neglected to mention that I'm running a fixture meant for a 29 gallon tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode