• 2 Post By Nlewis
  • 2 Post By PortalMasteryRy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Western North Dakota near Roosevelt National grasslands
New to C02 - Advise needed for 75 gal

I've always wanted to try C02. It arrives tomorrow! I have a newly planted tank (75) gal. A fisheless cycle was begun on May 23. My specs are: Plants: Dwarf Hairgrass, 2 Amazon Swords – (1) Kleiner bar, Crested Java Fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Golden Jenny, Needle leaf Rotala wallichii, Mermaid, 2 nymphae, Najas Guppy grass, riccia fluitans, Pigmy chain sword, Pogostemon helferi Little star ‘downoi’, Italian Vallisneria, Flame Moss, Java moss, and Java Fern. (AquaTop CF 400-UV, Coralife Fixture LED 48"w Lunar, Koralia Circulation wave Power pump 600gph, Rex Grigg style Co2 Reactor w bypass. Substrate is white pool sand. Light cycle on 6 hours day.) pH around 7.6,7.2. I have now added 11 lovely Ember Tetra, a few corries, and 6 black neon tetra. My goal eventually is to have discus, oh and a school of cardinal tetra. I have and use Seachem Flourish once a week. I have Excell on hand but so far have been afraid to try it. I put a few fert tabs in the substrate so far. I have no algae outbreak and things look pretty good overall but hope for more growth. First time growing riccia and love it. It is very green and beautiful so far for a low tech tank that I've proceeded with. My question is: Now along with C02 how much dosing of fertilizer would you recommend? Can I alternate Flourish and Excell or stay with one ? I hope to not mess up the good that I have so far. What to watch for? I am also getting a Cal Aqua Pearl drop checker. Ps I also feel my power pump 600 gph may not be inadequate? Not sure I won't take my canister down also once the Rex Grigg is installed inline. Thanks. Llewellyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You should look into picking up a dry fert package. Excel is a carbon source and the flourish are micro nutrients. You are missing all the macro nutrients and for the cost dry ferts are the way to go.
burr740 and burr740 like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your light will dictate your fert requirements once the CO2 is up and running.

Usually the demand will go up and as long as you have good CO2 even with a weaker light, you can have a good amount of ferts in the water without any issues.

I would try to keep NO3 close to 10-20 ppm and PO4 to 1-2 ppm. Use the seachem ones (expensive in the long run) or buy KNO3 and KH2PO4 for your nitrates and phosphates.

If you want to avoid a disaster now then buy the test kits for PO4 and NO3 and maintain the levels. Assuming you have good hardness then the only thing you will need better micro nutrient source using CSM+B.

Most people make the mistake of waiting for bad things to happen then troubleshooting the issues as they come which can be very frustrating since in most cases their plants die out before they figure out.

I helped my neighbor one time with a low light setup on 29 g. Never had any issues with algae and no CO2 injection. We set it up for 20 ppm Nitrate and 2-3 ppm phosphate. We seeded the tank for the 15-20 ppm K. I then gave my neighbor some of my home made micro/macro fert solution and the tank grew plants really well.
burr740 and burr740 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Start your co2 rate very slow. Watch your fish. Do not expect instant results.

Light is what drives the plants' growth, everything else follows: light -> carbon -> ferts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
I would try to keep NO3 close to 10-20 ppm and PO4 to 1-2 ppm.
I don't think it's necessary to target a specific ppm. Calculating how much is dosed each time is more practical and easy. Sites like www.rotalabutterfly.com target adding 7.5ppm 2 or 3 times a week (totalling between 14-20ppm a week). I just follow that and never test.

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
You start with a target ppm to calculate the dosage per water volume.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designs in clay plants View Post
I've always wanted to try C02. It arrives tomorrow! I have a newly planted tank (75) gal. A fisheless cycle was begun on May 23. My specs are: Plants: Dwarf Hairgrass, 2 Amazon Swords ? (1) Kleiner bar, Crested Java Fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Golden Jenny, Needle leaf Rotala wallichii, Mermaid, 2 nymphae, Najas Guppy grass, riccia fluitans, Pigmy chain sword, Pogostemon helferi Little star ?downoi?, Italian Vallisneria, Flame Moss, Java moss, and Java Fern. (AquaTop CF 400-UV, Coralife Fixture LED 48"w Lunar, Koralia Circulation wave Power pump 600gph, Rex Grigg style Co2 Reactor w bypass. Substrate is white pool sand. Light cycle on 6 hours day.) pH around 7.6,7.2. I have now added 11 lovely Ember Tetra, a few corries, and 6 black neon tetra. My goal eventually is to have discus, oh and a school of cardinal tetra. I have and use Seachem Flourish once a week. I have Excell on hand but so far have been afraid to try it. I put a few fert tabs in the substrate so far. I have no algae outbreak and things look pretty good overall but hope for more growth. First time growing riccia and love it. It is very green and beautiful so far for a low tech tank that I've proceeded with. My question is: Now along with C02 how much dosing of fertilizer would you recommend? Can I alternate Flourish and Excell or stay with one ? I hope to not mess up the good that I have so far. What to watch for? I am also getting a Cal Aqua Pearl drop checker. Ps I also feel my power pump 600 gph may not be inadequate? Not sure I won't take my canister down also once the Rex Grigg is installed inline. Thanks. Llewellyn

I also have a 75 discus tank with co2. This being my first planted tank I was using only flourish as well and did not have good results. As others have stated it isn't enough on its own. I then decided to go with the entire line of seachem ferts along with their weekly dosing schedule. I saw much better results with this method but found it to be expensive. I now have ordered the pps pro package from green leaf.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode