CO2 issue - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 issue

i've had pressurized CO2 for about 2 weeks now. I used seachem flourish before. The co2 doesn't seem to be working that well.. My drop checker is close to yellow(3 BPS in a 55 gallon0), so that means theres almost too much co2 in there(ph is pretty stable). I dose macro's twice/week. With flourish, i had no algae and plant growth was amazing. Now my tank is full with black puffy algae and the plants are growing but by FAR not as good as with flourish. My moss is pearling heavely(or co2 is just sticking to it..) but thats all thats happening, any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
What is your light period and what light fixture are you using? When you say flourish, are you talking about flourish excel or flourish ferts? If you were using excel, it may have been keeping your algae at bay, not because of it being co2, because it is not, but because it is actually a chemical algacide.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
What is your light period and what light fixture are you using? When you say flourish, are you talking about flourish excel or flourish ferts? If you were using excel, it may have been keeping your algae at bay, not because of it being co2, because it is not, but because it is actually a chemical algacide.
yeah, excel, i have .. well its hard to say, its a DIY LED setup, but the light is very high .. its running for 8 hours/day, 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night(when i wake up and goto bed..)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazan View Post
yeah, excel, i have .. well its hard to say, its a DIY LED setup, but the light is very high .. its running for 8 hours/day, 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night(when i wake up and goto bed..)
I think that is the cause then. How is your co2 diffused? Is the light and co2 on separate timers? If so, what is the time offset for when the co2 comes on and off as compared to the light?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I think that is the cause then. How is your co2 diffused? Is the light and co2 on separate timers? If so, what is the time offset for when the co2 comes on and off as compared to the light?
its in the same timer, and its being diffused by an apo inline diffuser

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

same as easy-carbo..
I suggest you start dosing it again to keep the algae at bay.
do you dose any micro's?

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsenrex View Post
same as easy-carbo..
I suggest you start dosing it again to keep the algae at bay.
do you dose any micro's?
yep, i made a stock solution with all of it together, basically it has everything the plants should require and up untill the compressed co2 its been doing awesome.. had to trim twice/week.. now.. well not so much xD

and the reason i quit dosing liquids is because of the pricetag... if i still have to dose that, there's not much use to having bought a 500$ CO2 setup xD

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you put the micro's and macro's in one bottle?

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
yep, i made a stock solution with all of it together, basically it has everything the plants should require and up untill the compressed co2 its been doing awesome.. had to trim twice/week.. now.. well not so much xD

and the reason i quit dosing liquids is because of the pricetag... if i still have to dose that, there's not much use to having bought a 500$ CO2 setup xD
You would not fully dose the excel. Just enough to keep the the algae at bay until you can fix the actual issue causing it. If you light is very high that could be part of it. How is your flow? How much plant mass do you have? Water changes?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsenrex View Post
you put the micro's and macro's in one bottle?
That is what I am wondering as well. That only works with extra additives and even then it is tricky. Colin (Nilocg) nailed it with Thrive and figured out how to make it work, but just putting them in the same bottle does not work well.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the mixing went fine before, i get all of them in powder form and make exact measurements ... i do this in all my tanks and havent ever had issues... unless co2 makes this stuff go haywire i doubt its the dosing.. I will try and dose seperately if you guys think thats the issue though... but i doubt it is

its heavely planted(carpet of , i have a really strong flow for a freshwater tank(400 gph filter, 1000gph powerhead)
water changes are twice-3x/week, depends on how many dosing moments i have

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
the mixing went fine before, i get all of them in powder form and make exact measurements ... i do this in all my tanks and havent ever had issues... unless co2 makes this stuff go haywire i doubt its the dosing..

its heavely planted(carpet of , i have a really strong flow for a freshwater tank(400 gph filter, 1000gph powerhead)
water changes are twice-3x/week, depends on how many dosing moments i have
The fluctuation in dosing and that many water changes a week is causing inconsistency which causes algae. Pressurized co2 will increase plant growth, which in turn increases the demand for nutrients.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The fluctuation in dosing and that many water changes a week is causing inconsistency which causes algae. Pressurized co2 will increase plant growth, which in turn increases the demand for nutrients.
soo.. dose more, change water less?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
soo.. dose more, change water less?
Well yes and no. Are you following a dosing schedule such as EI or PPS with your dosing? Or just mixed them up and doing what looks good? I change my water weekly and dose EI. I didn't do my weekly Sunday water change this week and I had algae Tuesday. I had very minimal algae before that. It is all about consistency with the battle against algae. I did a water change Tuesday evening and things appear to be back to normal in my tank, minimal algae.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

How much of each macro are you dosing ? What % do you change 3 times a week ?

I do not know the specifics of your aquarium, but it may be that until you switched to CO2 your plants were CO2 limited and there were enough nutrients. Now that they have enough CO2 and high light they start to be nutrient limited. Nutrient limitation=> poor growth, damage to old leaves=>BBA (black puffy algae). Just a guess...
Hoppy, Hoppy, crice8 and 1 others like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
How much of each macro are you dosing ? What % do you change 3 times a week ?

I do not know the specifics of your aquarium, but it may be that until you switched to CO2 your plants were CO2 limited and there were enough nutrients. Now that they have enough CO2 and high light they start to be nutrient limited. Nutrient limitation=> poor growth, damage to old leaves=>BBA (black puffy algae). Just a guess...
okay so I dose 8ppm potassium nitrate 3x/week, 3ppm potassium phosphate 3x/week

then i dose a premade powder mix with macro's 5 times/week. they contain;
Element
Concentratie (in %)
Kalium (K)
6,6 %
Magnesium (Mg)
0,5 %
IJzer (Fe)
0,10 %
Mangaan (Mn)
0,03 %
Boor (B)
0,02 %
Zink (Zn)
0,006%
Koper (Cu)
0,002%
Molybdeen (Mo)
0,001%
Stikstof (N)
0 %
Fosfor (P)
0%

I dose the amount subscribed on the packaging. sorry the names are in dutch xD i dont know all the elements in english

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode