Favorite Root Tabs? And other questions. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 4 Post By Freemananana
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Favorite Root Tabs? And other questions.

In the planning phase of a 20 gallon long tank. I plan on putting in Black Diamond Blasting Media as my substrate. I've read that some people crush up root tabs and dust the bottom of the tank before adding the substrate. So I have a few questions. I'm doing low-tech so I like this idea.

1. What are your favorite root tabs - and why.

2. Do you also tuck a few root tabs into heavily planted areas?

3. Are there any drawbacks to root tabs vs. liquid ferts?

4. I will be doing low-light, no CO2. Should I be using root tabs and liquid ferts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyona View Post
I like Oscmocote+ Root tabs because they are cheap and effective from my experience.

Quote:
I start by placing root tabs everywhere and tend to replace the root tabs under large plants more often.

Quote:
No, but they do different things.

Quote:
4. I will be doing low-light, no CO2. Should I be using root tabs and liquid ferts?
I would use root tabs if you'd like but skip on liquid ferts unless you see deficiencies.

The limiting factor in low tech, low light, tanks is CO2. You'll usually have more than enough nutrients present from fish poop and trace elements found in water (water changes).

If you want some super cheap O+ root tabs PM me. If you go with a different option, they are all about the same.
Niyona, Niyona, patfat and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
In the planning phase of a 20 gallon long tank. I plan on putting in Black Diamond Blasting Media as my substrate. I've read that some people crush up root tabs and dust the bottom of the tank before adding the substrate. So I have a few questions. I'm doing low-tech so I like this idea.

I have never heard of crushed up root tabs and put under the sand..I mean its not like you can do that every time..plus I believe when its in its round shape form it will last longer...I usually buy root tabs from who ever is selling it the cheapest on here..they all look the same and do the same job!! yes every 4-5 months i put tabs all along the tank..not sure from drawbacks for tabs..for liquid some plants dont except it well depending on the liquid ferts..you can dose to much and get algae!! It cost a more then dry ferts...since you are doing a low tech liquid should be to bad..i mean you wont use as much or a lot so thats fine..I have used soem brightwell all in one liquid fert and its cool does the job i want to try nilogcal all in one fert next..have dry ferts but every time i use them i get an algae problem so i have to figure how to use them correctly lol!! Yes and eh yes...every one has their own opinion..i use the root tabs for sure and use the liquid ferts very very sparingly so not to cause any issues!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a bottle of Osmocote+,and I got a bag of size 00 gel caps at the health food store,just make them as I need them.I run low to medium light,I do root tabs and 1/3 EI twice a week.seems to work.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use Osmocote+ and placed it on a size 00 gel capsule. I also tandem it with MTS/EI/CLAY CAPSULES from NILOG (NEW MTS/EI/CLAY Capsules - NilocG Aquatics).

I also use Easy Green All in One Fertilizer (Easy Green All in One Fertilizer | Aquarium Co-Op) for my liquid ferts twice a week.

Last edited by Mike16T; 07-06-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I have a bottle of Osmocote+,and I got a bag of size 00 gel caps at the health food store,just make them as I need them.I run low to medium light,I do root tabs and 1/3 EI twice a week.seems to work.

Osmocote+ are tiny round pellets, yes? Do they dissolve completely? I've used something similar for potted plants, and they leave tiny casings in the dirt. I don't mind for potted plants, but wouldn't want to pick those out of my substrate LOL.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would not pre-seed the tank with root tabs.
Niyona and Niyona like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode