Flourish Excel = 2 dead angels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish Excel = 2 dead angels

ok, gonna keep this short and sweet. About 2 weeks ago had a quarter sized angel ( had for about 1 1/2 months ) in my planted 35g hex, i figured id try excel bc i dont use CO2. did the recommended dose, anglefish dead next day. fast forward to last week, picked up another angel ( bigger than the first ). decided id give excel another shot, only put in 1 thread of the cap's worth, next day angel swimming all loopy, then he dies. WTF. never using again. i just wanted to let everyone know my experience. obviously its not the same with everyone. thanks for listening to my rant.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

That's really strange. I've been using excel in several tanks (including shrimp tanks) and never had an issue. Any possibility that something else got into the tank? Were any other fish/shrimp/snails affected?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Planted Member

You overdosed. Excel kills fish, don't use too much. It'll also kill some plants, if used in excess.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Don't assume excel is the cause. Many small sized angelfish are in poor health to start with. I have gone through this tons of times with younger angels. I dose an angel tank that has apistos and L144 plecos with nearly 2x excel dosing and have never had a problem. There is either another problem or the fish were of poor quality. You can not assume a + b=c if you neglect to consider x+y*w-t+p*q-u/h.... ie there are a lot of variables, especially with NEW fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i appreciate the replies. as far as the other fish (dwarf rainbows, couple neons, rummynose), they were fine during both instances. how did i O.D. the last time if i only put in enough to reach 1 thread in the cap? especially bc it had been over a week since the first angel died. and your absolutely right, maybe it wasnt excel but i find it odd that the only 2 times i used it, it killed both angels. the first one had been in my tank for over a month and the second was new to the tank but was bigger than a dollar size ( not very young). and my water is perfect 6.6 -6.8 ph 0 nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. oh well, i did pick up 2 kribs to replace the angel so i guess there is a plus to the story. thanks again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If your other fish are fine, it wasn't the excel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit36 View Post
i appreciate the replies. as far as the other fish (dwarf rainbows, couple neons, rummynose), they were fine during both instances. how did i O.D. the last time if i only put in enough to reach 1 thread in the cap? especially bc it had been over a week since the first angel died. and your absolutely right, maybe it wasnt excel but i find it odd that the only 2 times i used it, it killed both angels. the first one had been in my tank for over a month and the second was new to the tank but was bigger than a dollar size ( not very young). and my water is perfect 6.6 -6.8 ph 0 nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. oh well, i did pick up 2 kribs to replace the angel so i guess there is a plus to the story. thanks again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
I agree with OS... if the rest of your tanks inhabitants survived, you
need to look for the true cause of your Angelfish mortalities...

I have a 36G and have dosed excel @ 1 cap-full per day without
any detrimental effects to flora or fauna...

Did both fish come from the same LFS? the same tank? How were
they acclimated? Are the replacement fish (Kribs) surviving?
What else was introduced into the tank recently?

As you should be able to see, there are many possibilities, and many
questions that should be answered before you make the assumption
that the Excel caused your fish mortality....

HTH

Larry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i guess it's possible but im still leary of using it again. i dont want to risk it and kill anything else, ive lost enough fish in my short time in this hobby because i wasnt knowledgable about cycling, etc. now that im somewhat educated as far as basic fishkeeping, i dont want to lose anymore to anything besides natural or uncontrollable reasons. thanks again

AJ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I bought 3 albino angels ,only one of them made it, then i bought 2 koi angels but none of them survived, i don't even use Exell or anything else at this moment...i agree with what Overstocked said that most of them are not healthy to begin with, plus they are sensitive. i think you may have better luck with them if the water that they are living in at the pet store is exactlly like your aquarium water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode