A few things that are bugging me! (glosso & plants) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few things that are bugging me! (glosso & plants)

There is two things I want to achieve, and I can't do either.

First thing, is my plants are not turning red. Despite the amount of iron I dose, and the flourite red, and eco complete I use as a substrate. The plants are healthy, but not red, they are all just, very green. A couple DO turn red (l.repens) but my l.aromatica stays a lush green, r. macrandra stays green, sunset hygro, and pogostemon E., also green.

Also, my glosso that I planted about 4-5 weeks ago has not moved an inch. Doesn't grow out, doesn't grow up, just stays where I planted it. I would figure with my tank parameters it would of covered the whole ground by now, but it stays perfectly still.

My tank parameters:

55 gallon
Lighting: 3.5WPG on 10 hour cycle, with 1 hour siesta mid-day. Lights are approx 8" away. Bulbs are about 4 months old.

CO2: 1.5-2BPS - 100% Diffusion through CO2 Reactor through out take of filter. CO2 turns off when lights go out, then air stone runs at night. No, I don't have a drop checker.

Filter media: 4 Polishing sponges, 2 regular sponges - removed ceramic yesterday

Substrate: Flourite red capped with eco complete

EI Dosing:

24.76ppm (1/2tsp - 8.4g) KNO3 3x weekly
2.35ppm (1/8tsp - 0.70g) KH2P04 3x weekly
1.51ppm (1/8tsp - 0.70g) K2S04 3x weekly
1/8tsp - 0.70g Trace (CSM+B) elements 3x weekly

50% weekly w/c
GH boost during w/c
Cal: 23ppm
MgS04-7H20: 2.5ppm

NO3: 10
NO2: 0
Am: 0
pH: 6.0-6.5
GH: ?
KH: ?
Temp: 24-28C

Any thoughts would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
What kind of lights? I would up the CO2 to 2-3bps off the bat(depending on what type of lights you are using at 3.4WPG). Are you dosing any additional iron besides the CSM+B?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

how far away are the lights from the plants you wish to turn red? I have found that my ludwiga turns red when it hits the upper half of my tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

not that far away, give or take 5" - it can't go any higher than that due to my sloped ceilings where the tank is located.

The lights are 2x 96w CF

I was dosing flourish iron, but recently turned to csm+b to try something different. I thought the amount of iron in the flourite, eco complete, trace, and the Iron-DTPA in the GH Boost would be enough!

I'm going to see how the plants do this week. I've been keeping a log of everything I do and change in the tank. I'm going to run out the rest of the week with some new elements I added (barr's gh boost) and then next week I'll up the CO2 to 2-3bps for a week. If no changes are reported, I'll keep the CO2 at that and add the extra iron.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
With a 55g it may be difficult getting light to penetrate all the way down to the glosso. That is the key with glosso - if it gets enough light it will run and grow well without much influence. With a deep tank I like to find the "hot spots" where light reflects off the glass unto the substrate for a higher PAR. This is where I would plant ground covers which have increased light demand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode