Good commercial test kit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good commercial test kit

You may have seen some of my other postings and will know I'm just starting out and setting up my first planted tank. I'd like to pick up a good, general, moderately cost test kit that will cover all the critical tests. I'm not a scientist, just looking for a tool that will do the job(s)! Is there a decent kit that also includes the GH/KH test, or is that usually a separate test kit? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

API freshwater master kit is pretty much the standard and basically sold everywhere. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high ph, and low ph. All in the kit. $25 to $30 depending. API Gh/Kh is sold seperatly. Any major box store or LFS sells the kits

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tampa...thanks, that pretty much confirms what I already knew. But with something as esoteric as aquariums/fish I thought maybe "the experts" knew of some other source or kit everyone in the community in the know used. Have a great weekend.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The API test kit is fine and I keep mine around. Really, you only need to test the GH/KH/PH once unless you are changing something like rocks, substrate or CO2. Other than that, ammonia/nitrite are only needed for cycling unless you have a bad crash. Lastly, the nitrate runs out of use after you find out how much water you need to change and how often to keep nitrate in check (20-40ppm at most).

My point being: Don't worry about them too much as the test kit loses it's value to you as a fish keeper rather quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm a total square peg when it comes to test kits as I can't stand API. That being said, I'm also not a expert or 'in the know' however, I like my Seachem test kits. I also use Hagen or Nutrifin.

I've read that Salifert kits are good as well, but I've never used one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also use the API Master kit. My tank has been running for years and is considered a "mature" tank, so Nitrate is the only test that I really need. Since my tank is an established, planted tank, Ammonia and Nitrites are always zero and frankly a waste of time for me to test. In addition, the pH value is visible via the drop checker, so I do not check that either.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your feed back...actually, I'm happy to hear that testing isn't required as frequently as I thought it would be. Once I'm up and running, the tank is cycled and stable, water changes made on schedule...plants growing...sounds like a "just keep your eye on it" sort of arrangement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode