Fertalizer Help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertalizer Help?

I know these newb posts are really annoying, but i'm feeling pretty lost, and the more i read the more confused i get. I have a 10 gallon setup with a t8 15w light. My goal is to learn enough about aquatic plants to have a nice full carpet of dwarf hairgrass in my tank along with some wisteria/javafern, maybe some other low light plants. I'm in the process of making a diy co2 generator, and I know what kind of substrate i should get. Fertalizers kind of intimidate me, and i'd like to make sure my water parameters are safe for my dwarf puffer. Is there like one fertalizer product that would effectively fertalize my tank for my plants, or would i have to understand everything there is to fertalizers? I'm thinking of upgrading my lights, because i only have 1.5 wpg, and i read that dwarf hairgrass needs better lighting for a full carpet effect.
Any help on explaining fertalization would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea on where to start.
Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can look at this thread, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html Look at the 20 to 40 gallon then then use a light half. All tanks are a little driftnet so you will have to fine tune it to your tank.
This is a good package to start with http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So are all these fertalizers necessary? One thing i'm a little confused about, i thought fertalizers came in liquid form, but a lot of people talk about dry dosing. Whats that all about?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
msc
Planted Member

You can get them in liquid, but you pay for a lot of water and it adds up. Dry cost a lot less and that package will last a long time. I would guess will over a year.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so that $20 package would probably last bout a year, and i'd be all set on fertalizers? Then i should just dose according to the sticky?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM
msc
Planted Member

I would say it would last longer then a year. The sticky is a good place to start, but you will have to fine tune for your tank.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok thanks for the help, just out of curiosity how do people tell which fertalizer they need to use to fine tune it to their tank? do certain fertalizer deficiencies have different effects on plants?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Albright View Post
ok thanks for the help, just out of curiosity how do people tell which fertalizer they need to use to fine tune it to their tank? do certain fertalizer deficiencies have different effects on plants?
This link can guide you.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
msc
Planted Member

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
The easiest way to start from scratch and understand it all for free is to visit Rex Grigg's site. Its all laid out in a straight line by topic from start to trimming as the plants grow out the top of your tank.

Plantastic noobie site.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, thanks for all of the links, I'll be sure to read them all
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, one quick question, i read rex's posts about dry ferts, which really clarified alot. When dry dosing he says to mix the amount in 250 ml of water. Is it super important to have exactly 250ml to mix it with, or could i just mix the ferts in with a cup of water and poor them into the tank?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One more, about dosing nitrates. Would there be any danger in harming my fish by dosing nitrates. At the moment all i have is one dwarf puffer in a ten, but i plan on adding extra shrimp. if the ball really gets rolling on these plants will nitrates not even be a danger to my fish as they will suck them all up, or do i even need to dose nitrates with fish in the tank?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
ok, one quick question, i read rex's posts about dry ferts, which really clarified alot. When dry dosing he says to mix the amount in 250 ml of water. Is it super important to have exactly 250ml to mix it with, or could i just mix the ferts in with a cup of water and poor them into the tank?
If you are dosing using the dry method, most people just use enough water so that the daily dose will dissolve, and then dump it into the tank.

Unless you are trying to get a PMDD style, daily dosing routine? That would be different though...

Quote:
One more, about dosing nitrates. Would there be any danger in harming my fish by dosing nitrates. At the moment all i have is one dwarf puffer in a ten, but i plan on adding extra shrimp. if the ball really gets rolling on these plants will nitrates not even be a danger to my fish as they will suck them all up, or do i even need to dose nitrates with fish in the tank?
Excess nitrates can be bad for fish. If your plants start to do very well, they will uptake all the nitrates from the water, meaning that you would have to dose nitrates to keep up with their demand. In a high light, well planted tank, it is unlikely that the wastes produced by the livestock can meet the demands of the plants.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

no, i'm not trying to do a daily routine, i'd just like to do the typical dosing, So if i just poured the amount of dry dose in a cup of water, let it dissolve, and poured it in my tank it would work fine?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode