Seachem Advance - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member
 
LFM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 172
Seachem Advance

Has anyone tried this product yet? Is it any good? What plant fertilizer is it an improvement on or what does it replace?

Cheers,
LFM.


Last edited by LFM; 06-16-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
LFM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
What plant fertilizer is it an improvement on or what does it replace?
It doesn't replace anything. It's nothing else but plant hormones, amino acids and vitamins mixed with some fertilizer.

This is from their website:

Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Amino acids, Ascorbic Acid, Sugar Alcohols, Phytohormone salts

I think it supposed to do the same thing as ADA green gain.

You can give it a try, but don't expect wonders from it.
Hazol is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member
 
LFM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 172
Yeah I read the info on website but just wanted to bounce it off people on this site cause I'm already dosing with Flourish, Iron, Excel, Trace, and Potassium. Just wondering if Advance can replace some of these. To tell the truth I first started off with Flourish, Iron and Excel and I couldn't imagine how my plants could look any better just using the trio but I thought I'd give Trace and Potassium a try just to see.

Cheers,
LFM.

LFM is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Just wondering if Advance can replace some of these.
No it can't. It's not fertilizer.
Hazol is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member
 
LFM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazol View Post
No it can't. It's not fertilizer.
So then does anyone have any experience with it? Would anyone recommend it?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazol View Post
I think it supposed to do the same thing as ADA green gain.

You can give it a try, but don't expect wonders from it.
Oops just noticed this comment...thanxs

Cheers,
LFM.

LFM is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 70
I bought a bottle and am currently dosing it. I am only two doses in, so nothing particularly magical has happened yet.
I will say this though... Seachem has a knack for making all of their products smell palatable. For instance, I swear that Flourish Comprehensive is just bottled soy sauce. This Advance smells(and actually kind of looks) like sweet and sour sauce

-
spore is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazol View Post
It doesn't replace anything. It's nothing else but plant hormones, amino acids and vitamins mixed with some fertilizer.

This is from their website:

Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Amino acids, Ascorbic Acid, Sugar Alcohols, Phytohormone salts

I think it supposed to do the same thing as ADA green gain.

You can give it a try, but don't expect wonders from it.
Yep, sounds a lot like Green Gain, but it's a whole lot less expensive. I may give it a try and just fill up my Green Gain bottle with it . I do like those ADA bottles.

If you look at the whole Aquavitro planted lineup it seems to mimic ADA's line of ferts.
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
longgonedaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by spore View Post
I bought a bottle and am currently dosing it. I am only two doses in, so nothing particularly magical has happened yet.
I will say this though... Seachem has a knack for making all of their products smell palatable. For instance, I swear that Flourish Comprehensive is just bottled soy sauce. This Advance smells(and actually kind of looks) like sweet and sour sauce
You might be on to something with the Flourish! Phosphate and nitrate, eh, maybe not.
longgonedaddy is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
LFM
Planted Member
 
LFM's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by spore View Post
i bought a bottle and am currently dosing it. I am only two doses in, so nothing particularly magical has happened yet.
I will say this though... Seachem has a knack for making all of their products smell palatable. For instance, i swear that flourish comprehensive is just bottled soy sauce. This advance smells(and actually kind of looks) like sweet and sour sauce :d
lol

Cheers,
LFM.

LFM is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Trinidad
Posts: 12
Seems similar to Florin Axis which was labelled by some as "snake oil" ???
haydns is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
longgonedaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by spore View Post
I bought a bottle and am currently dosing it. I am only two doses in, so nothing particularly magical has happened yet.
Any updates? Other than putting in your stir-fry?
longgonedaddy is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:01 AM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
dru's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 669
Anyone else using this?
dru is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
longgonedaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,259
I'm waiting for it to be available at my outlets. Looking forward to giving it a shot.
longgonedaddy is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Yeah I read the info on website but just wanted to bounce it off people on this site cause I'm already dosing with Flourish, Iron, Excel, Trace, and Potassium. Just wondering if Advance can replace some of these. To tell the truth I first started off with Flourish, Iron and Excel and I couldn't imagine how my plants could look any better just using the trio but I thought I'd give Trace and Potassium a try just to see.
Not sure what your setup is like, but in most cases you need Flourish, Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphate and I guess Excel. You really don't need extra Iron and the Trace product. You could go a much cheaper route with dry ferts, but if your sticking with Seachem that's the way I would go.
Aenglaan and Aenglaan like this.
houseofcards is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 1,287
Saw this at the fish store, they said they were using it on their display tanks. I'm wondering if its like that root hormone that you use for terrestrial plants to get them to root better. Except this is dosed in the tank instead of directly to the cutting.

Any more updates on using this stuff?
latchdan is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome