Could I me dosing too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could I me dosing too much?

Here is a picture of my overall tank. Im currently dosing full EI with pressurized co2, finnex ray on for 8 hours a day, substrate is ADA AS.

At first I was thinking this is calcium deficiency but increasing CSM+B has not helped so I'm wondering if my full EI dosing is actually causing toxicity to my plants.

As you can see, most of my plants are pretty slow growth plants but funny thing is only my fast growing stem plants are showing symtoms.

I have taken advice and incrased my co2, and the other day my fish were gasping for air so i dialed it back a bit but still pretty high.

Circulation is good because I have 2 externals with outlets on both sides of the tank to stir the water in counter clockwise direction.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas on what may be causing leaf curcling, translucent leaves and slow growth.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910S using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

CSM+B
Mg - 1,40%,
Fe - 6,53%,
Mn - 1,87%
B - 1,18%
Zn - 0,37%
Cu - 0,09%
Mo - 0,05%

... does not supply calcium. If you suspect Ca deficiency, you can dose calcium as calcium carbonate (hard to dissolve, also raises KH) or as calcium chloride. You could add a GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium which adds Ca, Mg and K.

Drop the amount of CSM+B back to the EI level or a bit lower. Trace minerals can be toxic when over dosed, and the substrate can do a good job of holding on to extra minerals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

What about dialing back EI to normal dosing and trying a few DIY root tabs? Plenty of trace minerals and micronutrients. And you can spot treat a couple plants rather than the whole water column to see if this fixes the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What about salinity? I added a bit of aquarium salt at 1tbsp per 10 gallons and it melted my swords.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Curious about light fixture and size of tank(how far from the light to the sub).
More info on light fixture or a link to it would help.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
CSM+B
Mg - 1,40%,
Fe - 6,53%,
Mn - 1,87%
B - 1,18%
Zn - 0,37%
Cu - 0,09%
Mo - 0,05%

... does not supply calcium. If you suspect Ca deficiency, you can dose calcium as calcium carbonate (hard to dissolve, also raises KH) or as calcium chloride. You could add a GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium which adds Ca, Mg and K.

Drop the amount of CSM+B back to the EI level or a bit lower. Trace minerals can be toxic when over dosed, and the substrate can do a good job of holding on to extra minerals.
Oh wow didnt know the traces didnt include ca!

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0dest_aquarist View Post
What about dialing back EI to normal dosing and trying a few DIY root tabs? Plenty of trace minerals and micronutrients. And you can spot treat a couple plants rather than the whole water column to see if this fixes the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What about salinity? I added a bit of aquarium salt at 1tbsp per 10 gallons and it melted my swords.
Also good idea, will put in some tabs today to see if it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Curious about light fixture and size of tank(how far from the light to the sub).
More info on light fixture or a link to it would help.
Its a finnex ray 2, use to have it right above the water but I lifted it 2 inches from the water surface now to see if the light was too much.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-14-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Finnex RayII PAR chart.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/14...-par-data.html
Just checking things which people often overlook. A balance is most productive
and lights/ferts and CO2 should/usually seem to work better when none of them
is way ahead of the rest. The CO2 and ferts seem maxed out, but check to see
(on the chart) if the light is extreme.
Then if it's not the other thing I see which has caused me issues in the past is
that I don't see any plants in your tank that actually justify that high of a level
of ferts and CO2.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode