Your Stance On Water Changes? - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Your Stance On Water Changes?

Personally I started out with 25% weekly water changes using the gravel vac, then I had problems keeping any nitrates since it is an open top riparium. I dropped to 25% every other week but still had nitrate issues. I started dosing nitrates to fix the issue, and then I began using Purigen which I now swear by on planted tanks.

Then I started a new 5 gallon tall planted shrimp tank with a Betta, I found it to be a total pain to vac the gravel in such a tight tank so I stopped doing it. I decided to go walsted, I have not done anything but top the tank off in the last month and the water is crystal clear. Everyone is happy and the chemistry from what I can tell seems fine, I still have to dose nitrates in even this tank without riparium style planters...it is an open top so evaporation is high which means I am constantly adding minerals from the tap water through top off. The only thing wrong with my plants are swords and crypts are starting to develope holes in their leafs...I dose weekly: Flourish Comprehensive, Excel, Iodide and sometimes Nitrogen.

I am wondering how long I can roll like this before my tank crashes from undetected factors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I have a 5g tank that had no water change in about 2 years and a 25g that had none in more then 6 months, top off only. The 2g has a lot of floating plants and the 25g has a bunch of ripparium plant, no heater and no filter. You can find their pictures right here on TPT.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

On a lightly stocked tank this should be quite possible.
I see some people are saying lately that a large part of what starts off algae infestations is the RATE of ammonia production in a tank (not the tanks ability to cycle it). The quickest way of having high production is lots of fish and lots of food..

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Algae Grower

On my 70 US-Gall. tank I do around 10% water changes daily but I it is a populated tank. So the fish and shrimps are generating quite a lot of waste but the tank is already established - plants, shrimps, fish, snails, worms (blood worms!) and bacteria are all happy.

Vacuuming the tank is not necessary IMO unless the mulm is thicker than your substrate. Plants and beneficial bacteria like it plus it does somewhat add a natural look to your tank.
Teebo, Teebo, tapwater and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Algae Grower

If it isn't broken don't fix it

Water, water everywhere...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I do weekly 50% wc on my ei dosed tank. On low tech shrimp i was doing 20% every other week and not dosing any ferts. Low tech was showing extensive nitrogen and potassium deficiency. Cabomba, frogbit, rrf looked very ragged. I've sinced started to dose trace and nitrogen/potassium weekly. Might even have to bump it up more.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

I do 50% every week in a high tech fully stocked tank w/ fertz. In a low tech shrimp tank with floaters and moss, maybe 10% every week just to make sure there are enough minerals for molting.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

20% twice a month, being doing this since I got my Python changer. I modded it to water my garden directly years back. Garden plants love fishy water.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies, this tank is lightly stocked but sometimes I feed heavy with my gelatin food. As far as minerals for molting that is why I add Iodide, makes the shrimps molt like crazy! I think I need to start experimenting with potassium.

-
-
-
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Thanks for the replies, this tank is lightly stocked but sometimes I feed heavy with my gelatin food. As far as minerals for molting that is why I add Iodide, makes the shrimps molt like crazy! I think I need to start experimenting with potassium.

How do you know if Iodine is necessary? Is it normally in the tap water, food? in Gh booster? I thought GH had a large part in molting.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Personally I started out with 25% weekly water changes using the gravel vac, then I had problems keeping any nitrates since it is an open top riparium. I dropped to 25% every other week but still had nitrate issues. I started dosing nitrates to fix the issue, and then I began using Purigen which I now swear by on planted tanks.

Then I started a new 5 gallon tall planted shrimp tank with a Betta, I found it to be a total pain to vac the gravel in such a tight tank so I stopped doing it. I decided to go walsted, I have not done anything but top the tank off in the last month and the water is crystal clear. Everyone is happy and the chemistry from what I can tell seems fine, I still have to dose nitrates in even this tank without riparium style planters...it is an open top so evaporation is high which means I am constantly adding minerals from the tap water through top off. The only thing wrong with my plants are swords and crypts are starting to develope holes in their leafs...I dose weekly: Flourish Comprehensive, Excel, Iodide and sometimes Nitrogen.

I am wondering how long I can roll like this before my tank crashes from undetected factors?
Hi Teebo,

Our local club, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS), invited a well known freshwater shrimp breeder to Seattle for a talk in 2012. He indicated that the 50% water changes that we do for planted tanks can be very detrimental to shrimp tanks. He recommended much less frequency (once a month) and much lower volumes (like 10% max) for tanks where shrimp are being raised.
Teebo, Teebo, jmach and 1 others like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Iodide has been proven to be necessary for saltwater shrimps, not so much for freshwater. However I used to loose shrimp constantly before I started adding Iodide now I never lose a single one! Yes GH plays a role too, but so does Iodide.

Thanks for the shrimp water change advice, I agree since they are so delicate and fragile.

-
-
-
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Iodide has been proven to be necessary for saltwater shrimps, not so much for freshwater. However I used to loose shrimp constantly before I started adding Iodide now I never lose a single one! Yes GH plays a role too, but so does Iodide.

Thanks for the shrimp water change advice, I agree since they are so delicate and fragile.
I will second this, normally do 1-2 drops per 5 gallons

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
I will second this, normally do 1-2 drops per 5 gallons
Hmm what type do you guys recommend?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

I don't use iodine and I see no reason to. My bees, RCS, CRS, Amanos, etc. all molt and reproduce fine without it. Unless one of you has some peer reviewed information on the necessity of supplementing iodine with freshwater shrimp, it seems wholly anecdotal and completely unnecessary.

Furthermore, adding it to the water column wouldn't even be how shrimp would utilize it, even if it was needed. That would be akin to a thirsty person attempting to drink water by absorbing it through the air. It's not how physiology works.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode