Help please. GSA Algae growth rampant. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Help please. GSA Algae growth rampant.

Hi everyone! I was gone on vacation for 10 days and when i returned, there was a massive bloom of GSA waiting for me. I put my tank in a state of stasis (Hallf the light and food, no ferts and no co2), however i am trying to identify the root cause of my gsa outbreaks. I never realized how much micro maintenance i did every day to prevent blooms on the tank walls. Attached is a pic of what i am running:

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465215306235.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	640089  

Last edited by JuanSan; 06-07-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
6 hours with lighting mentioned, with no fertz,no CO2,won't help much.
I would resume CO2 (slowly with fishes present ),and full fertz routine, while removing the GSA from the glass.
Would remove the Ray II till I got thing's back on track and would use just the /finnex planted plus for the six hour photoperiod.
Can try spot treating the leaves of plant's with EXCEL or 3% hydrogen peroxide if they have GSA, but I have found that vals in particular aren't fond of either product.
Low phosphate is suggested as a cause for GSA.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I do have a phosguard packet in my canister filter now that i think about it. ill remove that. Thank you!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Root causes: no ferts and no CO2. You brought the plant growth to a screeching halt. That's what caused the algae.

Next time, skip the fish food. Keep CO2 + ferts the same. Reduce light intensity a bit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxa Tilly View Post
Root causes: no ferts and no CO2. You brought the plant growth to a screeching halt. That's what caused the algae.

Next time, skip the fish food. Keep CO2 + ferts the same. Reduce light intensity a bit.
I was on vacation for 10 days. That makes sense though with the fish food why there would be a bloom thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
lol i love CO2: [censored][censored][censored][censored]ting two hours before lights come on and [censored][censored][censored][censored] off 1 hour after they turn off

Anyways, from your parameters it looks like you had a little ammonia and nitrite spike while you were gone that triggered a GSA outbreak. Should clear up soon. Your KH is very high for a planted aquarium as well, what's going on there?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmach View Post
lol i love CO2: [censored][censored][censored][censored]ting two hours before lights come on and [censored][censored][censored][censored] off 1 hour after they turn off

Anyways, from your parameters it looks like you had a little ammonia and nitrite spike while you were gone that triggered a GSA outbreak. Should clear up soon. Your KH is very high for a planted aquarium as well, what's going on there?
Using well water, which is notoriously hard in these parts. I am thinking about getting an RODI unit to cut into my tap water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode