• 4 Post By discuspaul
  • 2 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 2 Post By thedood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen Regeneration Observation

Ok. First time renewing my Purigen, It was very dark brown. I put it in the 50/50 bleach water solution and set it on the porch with a loose lid on it. I checked on it every few hours, and after about 6 hours it looked white to me, but I went ahead and followed the instructions.
After 24 Hours I brought it in to begin rinsing it. As soon as I moved the bag, the Purigen moved inside of it, and exposed a core of dirty spheres that the bleach had not cleaned. I let it set a bit more, and poked at it again, and again, more dirty purigen appeared from inside. Eventually I got it all bleached and went through the rest of the process, but this got me thinking. If this can happen during the bleaching process, could the same thing happen during the dechlor process?. I had an extended period of time, soaking in Prime, while pocking and swishing occasionally, before I was finished. I wonder if anyone has lost fish due to lack of chlorine removal while following instructions.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Here is how I regen mine. I place it in the bleach water. Before I go to bed I stir the bag up. I do the same again in the morning before I leave for work. That night I check it turn all granules over. If I find any still stained I resoak in a fresh solution of bleach water and repeat the process. Once I am happy with the cleanliness I soak in prime dosed water in a semi closed container and I leave it there until I am ready to use it, usually two weeks, that way the bleach is gone for sure.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like a good process. I would hope Seachem would, perhaps, add a little more info to their instructions.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

@livingword26 They also dont say it but it can be found online made by seachem employees that it is not recommended to allow it to dry out. If allowed to dry out some of the beads will crack apart and allow them to spill out of the bag so my process solves that issue as well. I'm not saying my way is best but it seems to work for my needs since I swap out bags just about every water change.
livingword26 and livingword26 like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was wondering about that. I only have 1 bag for my 10 gallon. I thought about getting another one to switch out, when regeneration was needed, but I was afraid that in long term storage (3 to 4 weeks) the water the purigen was stored in might foul.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
I was wondering about that. I only have 1 bag for my 10 gallon. I thought about getting another one to switch out, when regeneration was needed, but I was afraid that in long term storage (3 to 4 weeks) the water the purigen was stored in might foul.

Not a problem- just refresh the water periodically if it concerns you. Every few days would be sufficient.

But actually, there's no need to store it covered in water - you just need keep it damp- by placing in a tightly covered tupperware-type container, or a sealed zip-lock bag.
I've never had a problem with this - & using Purigen for the past 5 years.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Algae Grower

Someone gave me a purigen packet with some other odds and ends, but it was dry (and brown). Can I regenerate it and use it? Or is it just trash now?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

@uptown you can regenerate it. It may not look like new but it will most likely work.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Honestly I got a big bag in my canister two small bags in my HOB all on the same tank.. I do the same process as everyone but with the 24 bleach an 24 prime..you bring up a good point on the poking and swishing when in the prime though!! I am in need of giving my purigen a regeneration but I wish there was a better process of doing this then just letting it sit in the container..such as a tumbler where the bags or the purigen it self keeps getting moved around and around.. I love the stuff but I sort of get annoyed with it in the sense that after a regeneration it doesnt last more then a week to week 1/2 and its all brown again...the bag of purigen in the canister is brand new its been a couple weeks to a month so its in need of a recharge but i know it wont last being white..i mean even with the two small bags i have recharge them maybe two or three times each and there just dark dark..even with leaving them longer in bleach it doesnt do a change...so any thing better then purigen or better solution for cleaning the stuff???
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
If this can happen during the bleaching process, could the same thing happen during the dechlor process?. I had an extended period of time, soaking in Prime, while pocking and swishing occasionally, before I was finished. I wonder if anyone has lost fish due to lack of chlorine removal while following instructions.
Just completed this task today.
100ml Purigen pouch in 16oz of water with 1 capfull of Prime.
Swished around for 5 minutes to make sure of complete exposure.
Then tested with a total free chlorine test and nothing showed.
Trust Prime it is an amazing de-chlorinator.

The pre-made pouch is a bit tough to regen.
I use 2 treatments of bleach within 2 hours to expedite this process.
patfat and patfat like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
@uptown you can regenerate it. It may not look like new but it will most likely work.
Sweet! So I soak it in a bleach solution, squish it a lot, and then soak in dechlor with similar squishing?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
Sweet! So I soak it in a bleach solution, squish it a lot, and then soak in dechlor with similar squishing?
50/50 bleach and water (I use distilled water) and leave it sit, I use a covered container. I roll around the bag a few times over a 24 hour period to make sure all of the beads get a good soaking. Then when I am happy it is clean I use distilled water and prime to get rid of the bleach, turning it over like I did before. I do that until the bleach smell is gone.
uptown and uptown like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Forgot to mention a new technique I tried today.
While the Purigen bag is soaking in bleach I use a spoon to move the resin around.
Squish the bag with a spoon on edge very lightly, moves all the resin around quite well.

"The Bag" that Seachem sells is much easier to move water through than the 100ml premade pouches. "The Bag" is 180 micron mesh, I think the pouch is a tighter weave, it is more difficult to clean the resin.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I throw mine in a mason jar with bleach and water and cap it. I just pick up the whole jar and swirl or shake it.
After it is white I rinse it, throw it back in the jar with Prime and let it sit until I'm ready to use it.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode