Made ferts with tap water (hard) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Made ferts with tap water (hard)

I used E.I. to grow the plants, decided to try PPS now they are grown in because I got tired of the 50% weekly water change. So I screwed up. After forgetting to get RO/DI water for 5 days, I finally remembered and set to mixing my PPS Pro ferts. After finishing I realized I used tap water instead of RO/DI. D'OH!!!

So my question is can I still use them or should I dump them and remix?

The moral of the story, kids...DON'T GET OLD!!!

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Dechlorinated tap water never killed anyone

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

They should still be usable but watch out for fungal/bacterial growth . Tap water has some small amout of bacteria in it.

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I quit using RO water in my tank's and solutions quite a while ago. It's just not worth the hassle. I just add a couple of teaspoons of plain old white vinegar to the solution. That will prevent any funky chemical reactions as well as fungal, mold and bacterial growth. No chemistry degree required!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
They should still be usable but watch out for fungal/bacterial growth . Tap water has some small amout of bacteria in it.
I put in 5mL metricide...That should cover it?

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Tap water is fine. The only problem is if you add a lot of ferts into the water, it might not dissolve completely. A few ml of acid or excel/metricide will prevent fungal growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB13 View Post
Hi MJB13,

I dose most of my ferts dry now with the exception of Iron. Iron and/or CSM+B were the ones that always seemed to develop fungus after a while.

Metricide (glutaraldehyde) will certainly keep fungus from forming; I do 20 ml of Excel strength per 500ml (with Metricide 10ml per 500 ml should be fine).

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

yea i never understood why people mix them. i sprinkle mine in like fishfood and it doesnt seem to affect anything

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB13 View Post
Depends on the volume of the solution but it sounds about right. Mistergreen provides another good reason to use RO water.

As to the reason why make a solution...
1. accuracy in dosing for small tanks
2.uniformity of the dose/substance (a tsp has some degree of variation, the mass of the substance in a tsp depends on the density of the powder, mL are easier to measure) (especially in the case of CSM+B where the powder is varied )
3. avoids salt burns where the undissolved granules fall and fish tasting the powders ( guess you could dissolve it before in a small vial)
4. easier to store some substances that are especially hygroscopic (MgCl2 I am looking at you )
5. professional habit from all the time in the biolab (weight, dissolve, mix)

But that is just me, everybody is free to play however they like

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode