Co2 saturation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Co2 saturation

Hello, I got a question, is it possible to reach a co2 saturation in an aquarium? I am currentling using a pressurised co2 system with a DIY inline co2 reactor out of 2" pvc conneced to a XP1. Its a 37 gallon tank. I have the co2 turning on 2 hrs before the lights come on... during this time i don't hear any bubbles in the reactor and they seem to be dissolving fine. Drop checker is a dark green when lights turn on. When i get home around 3-4pm (co2 has been on for 7hrs) the drop checker is yellow and there sounds to be a lot of co2 in the reactor. Is it possible that the co2 is no longer getting dissolved because the water is saturated with co2 and its just falling out of solution? Any idea what i can do if i turn the co2 down much more then i don't get sufficient levels of co2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
4dKH distilled water in the drop checker?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
it means you need to turn down your bubble rate

essentially, youre providing CO2 faster than the water can dissolve it...

for example...if you put in 10parts/min of CO2...the waters dissolving 9parts/min....there is a remainder of a small amount (which you cant hear initially)....after a few hours...the remainder builds up...so that you have say 100 parts in the reactor...and thats what you hear slushing around in there

you could put a venturi style vent on your reactor to remove the excess CO2 or you could just turn down your bubble count a little and forget about it...either is good

...your call

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
No, you can't saturate the tank water with CO2 with the diffusing methods we use. Water will hold a lot more CO2 than we ever see. I agree with Killacross on what to do.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yes im using 4dkh in the drop checker bought from a online store. Ill try i think my needle valve isn't that good of quality because when i turn it down just a very tiny bit it my drop checker turns to dark green to blue color and if i turn back up i get yellow. Its an azoo regular i believe. Today im using an airstone when the lights turn on and see how that works out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Another consideration is circulation. It's important to have good circulation when using CO2. Try moving the DC to other spots to see if there are differences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The stuff collecting in your reactor that comes later in the day is mostly oxygen. You can venturi it or dont worry about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode