Nutrient deficiency Eleocharis parvula - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK
Nutrient deficiency Eleocharis parvula

Hi All,

I have a small pico tank which has Eleocharis parvula in it amongst some java moss and a dwaft anubias with the aim of growing it into a carpet.

the stats:

1 gallon (estimated)
5w of light
fine gravel mixed with JBL AquaBasis
Flourish excel dosed everyday
Tropica Aquacare Plus (N + K) added twice a week
Tetra Easy balance added weekly

long story short i added two potted plants last autum and it grew well and sent runners everywhere and generally appeared to be doing well. for one reason or another i then neglected the tank for a month or so and pratically stopped attending to it i.e no feed etc. a green algae like film covered the water surface and the Eleocharis parvula turned yellow from the tip down and started to die off fast. the older growth was affected more. i instantly stepped things up again and started feeding again but the film remained, if i skimmed it off it was back within a day or so. no other algaes were or are present.

I have now cleaned the filter and increased the surface movment and no more green film (yet) and i'm adding Flourish excel each day (1ml) and 1 ml of Tropica ferts twice a week (all as i did before).

So my question really is, have i shocked this plant and have to wait for it to recover? or is it lacking a nutrient which just happend to coincide with me negleting the tank for a few weeks?

i have got the tiniest amount of green algae on the glass of the tank but the snail is generally keeping on top of it. i have the tank full of cherry shrimps after they bred in there so they keep the tank in tip top condition.

These changes have been in affect for 3 weeks now and no improvement? but the yellowing appears to have ceased. and the anubias is strong and healthy and sending out new roots.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey all...

it's been a while but I'm still struggling with Eleocharis parvula. after my original thread it all died and i gave up. about three months ago i bought some online and gave it another go. initially it did nothing then sent out some runners, not many but a few. All looked promising and now in the last few weeks no growth and the existing growth is going brown from the tip down. If i don't act soon it'll all die again.

I have sufficient light, water flow, the only bio load are some cherry shrimps and a algae eating snail. the tank does not suffer from Algae at all other than some green surface scum which I've cleaning off.

I have been trying to add Profito liquid feed daily (4 drops to a 5L Pico) and 4-5 drops of easy carbo liquid carbon....i add some fish flakes when i think of it and the shrimps seem fine.

The anubias grows well, sending out new roots and leaves on a regular basis. I've just pulled out most of the java moss in case Allelopathy may be the cause????

I'd be grateful for comments.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can respond to this thread!?!

I read up yesterday and discovered that liquid carbon feeds can have a negative affect on this plant. Some other people also found that it went brown under these conditions.

As a test I carried out a third water change last night to try and dilute the chemicals in the water. I then added a root tab near some stronger growth in case part of the problem is nutrient related.

I have also changed the bulb in case this was another factor.

thanks,
Graeme

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Haven't grown E. parvula but acicularis is fine with liquid carbon products.

ProFito is not a complete feed. It is potassium and traces, there is zero nitrate and phosphate. I suspect that is the issue you are having. The Tropica product you had before has NP I believe. Most root tabs aren't complete feeds, check the label.

Your light is probably very low for hairgrass as well. Moss and Anubias can do well with a lot less light than hairgrass and are probably scavenging the nitrate and phosphate the shrimp waste contains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Kathyy,

Thanks for your feedback. I will look into the nutrient ratios of the root tab i've used. I have some KNO3 and Pottasium Sulfate i believe so i can manually add in the NPK I need. I will start to do this immediately.

E. parvula has grown in there before with the light so i suspect this is a combination of liquid carbon affecting growth and possibily my NPK requirements.

Do you know if E. parvula grow's quite fast? I hope so as i'd really like a dense carpet affect.

Thanks,
Graeme

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode