3Likes
  • 2 Post By JasterMake
  • 4 Post By Raymond S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Color bleeding leaves falling off

On my some of my ludwigia peruensis the leaves suddenly started bleeding out all color. (Small plants on right side.) This is new growth < 3 weeks. These have been growing well for 3 weeks.
The crowns that were cut off and replanted are growing fine(large plants left side). I did have a deficiency recently that led to stunting of r. Indica but after getting back on schedule everything except the little peruensis is looking good.

I dose frets, CO2, and excel.

Has anyone seen leaves do this? Any ideas as to what may be happening?
Edit: forgot the pic
tapwater and tapwater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Off and on I dose Excel. When I stop using it...that is a common result of stopping.
I actually get a different leaf shape from some plants depending on if I use the
Excel or not.
But more detail may help. Are there small pieces you clipped off the top of plants
and were good red color when you planted them. If so the difference in height that
determines how much light they are getting could have caused that.
It could take a couple of weeks to happen. Usually when I transplant it takes about
from one to two weeks for a plant to respond to what I did. Then It will start growing
consistent with the new conditions that now exist.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool that makes sense. I'm not consistent with the amount of excel I use. I'll be more careful with how I dose.

The small plants with the issue were the stem that was left after I trimmed the top. Days after trimming I got new shoots and they were growing fast and I was expecting to have more of what you see on the left. The left side plants were the tops and they have almost tripled in size since trimming.

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi JasterMake,

So I downloaded your picture and blew it up so I could get better detail - does any of this sound familiar?
Quote:

2. Necrosis occurs at tip and margin of leaves causing a definite hook at leaf tip.

Growing point dies. Margins of young leaves are scalloped and abnormally green and, due to inhibition of cell wall formation, the leaf tips may be "gelatinous" and stuck together inhibiting leaf unfolding. Stem structure is weak and peduncle collapse or shoot topple may occur. Roots are stunted. Premature shedding of fruit and buds is common. Downward curl of leaf tips (hooking) occurs near terminal bud.
Basically the description is what I could see in your picture, minus the "leaves falling off" (aka peduncle collapse)

Tell me about your water.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would say that sums it up. I haven't noticed any gelatinous tips BUT the SAEs are taking bites out of leaves they normally leave alone. The tips might be soft enough for them to eat. Downward leaf curl is something I see. Most of the plants have it. And yes the leaves are falling off. I've pulled out over 10 in the last 2 days. All from that same small bunch.

I'll post about my water in a few mins.

My water is 100% RO mixed with 1/4 tsp GH booster per gallon.
My dry gH booster is made with 3tbls CaSO4,
1tbls MgSO4,
1tbls KSO4.
Speaking of GH booster I need to make some more.

I do 40% wc every week.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-03-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi JasterMake,

Sorry, AFK for a while. Tom Barr's GH Booster (also aquariumfertilizer.com) is 1 part MgSO4 + 3 parts CaSO4 + 3 parts K2SO4 by weight.

Quote:
Tom Barr's GH Booster Formula per Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com

"Barrs GH Booster contains magnesium sulfate (1 part), calcium sulfate (3 parts) and potassium sulfate (3 parts) by weight. It is an excellent water conditioner. If there are difficulties with solubility you can add a very small amount (1 tsp to 500 ml water) of cider vinegar to increase solubility"
The DIY mix you are using is off in two areas: the amount of potassium (K2SO4) (it should be three parts not one) and by using tablespoons for making up the mix your mix is by volume and not by weight. Your resulting mix is providing a 5:1 Ca:Mg ratio. If you mixed it by weight it would give you a 9:1 Ca:Mg ratio. I know is going to sound strange, but I think you plants are suffering from a Ca deficiency - not from insufficient Ca but from too much Mg. Here is the full quote about the deficiency that I believe may apply.
Quote:
2. Necrosis occurs at tip and margin of leaves causing a definite hook at leaf tip.
Calcium is essential for the growth of shoot and root tips (meristems). Growing point dies. Margins of young leaves are scalloped and abnormally green and, due to inhibition of cell wall formation, the leaf tips may be "gelatinous" and stuck together inhibiting leaf unfolding. Stem structure is weak and peduncle collapse or shoot topple may occur. Roots are stunted. Premature shedding of fruit and buds is common. Downward curl of leaf tips (hooking) occurs near terminal bud. ammonium or magnesium excess may induce a calcium deficiency in plants... calcium deficiency
It is possible that a magnesium excess is causing your Ca deficiency.

I would suggest first doing another 40% water change and them adjusting your mix so it is by weight instead of by volume and increasing your K2SO4 so it is in the proper proportion. Your dosing level should be taking your RO water from 0 dGH to about 4.0 dGH is that correct? Hope this helps!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like a problem that I can easily correct. I was totally doing it by volume and not weight. I have run into this problem numerous times in the past without the funny color changing leaves as this is a new plant for me. It has happened at weird times and I have great growth in between. I can easily do this without any ill effect.

Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a related question.
I use this page for my fert solutions.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
I also use the Blackwater Extract once a week just after the water change.
This adding of these things makes my water 6.8 PH...3 KH and 5 GH
If I add this GH booster how do I keep my numbers from going higher.
They already have K2SO4 in my fert list.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Raymond S.

Here's my question, are your plants growing well without noticeable deficiencies? If they are growing well there should be no need to add GH Booster; your water must have adequate K, Ca, and Mg in it already.

Roy_________

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I feel they should be growing quicker. But borderline on light right now.
Had disaster because of neglect due to health reasons. Everything a mess but coming
back. No visible deficiencies yet. Just slow growth(from slow growth type plants which have grown faster).
Had an overpopulation of scuds happen which ate lots of my plants. Trying to remove them slowly because they are the food for my fish so don't want to just poison them
or do anything else that would completely wipe them out.
Have a Dwarf Gourami in there right now to cut down on them.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Raymond S.

I can relate to health problems, was laid up for almost 5 months this winter. Slow growth can be a lot of things, if you have fluorescent lamps and haven't changed them in the last year that is where I would start.

Roy_________

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode