Doe's pH and Alkalinity Matter? And What is GH/KH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow Doe's pH and Alkalinity Matter? And What is GH/KH?

Hey PTF!
I have heared many people saying, "pH doesn't matter unless you are breeding," or stuff like that, and I am wondering if having a very high but steady pH really makes a diffrence in the health of plants and fish. I have also heard that plants are effected by stone hard water, and I am wondering of this is true. So, "Does it really matter?"

I am also a newbie to advanced water parameters, so any help understanding GH and KH or what ever those are in greatly appreciated!
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Fish and plants adapt to whatever pH you have, anything from 6.0 to 7.9/8.0 is OK unless your trying to breed them. Anything under or over than that starts to get tough on the fish but OK for the plants.

The abridged version is: gH/kH is the thing to worry about, when you have a big pH swing the gH/kH changes which is what kill the fish. Your shooting for a steady pH within the general tolerances.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
Fish and plants adapt to whatever pH you have, anything from 6.0 to 7.9/8.0 is OK unless your trying to breed them. Anything under or over than that starts to get tough on the fish but OK for the plants.

The abridged version is: gH/kH is the thing to worry about, when you have a big pH swing the gH/kH changes which is what kill the fish. Your shooting for a steady pH within the general tolerances.

- Brad
Ok, thanks Brad! So the gH and kH are pH? Or am I missing somthing?
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
kH can determine the pH of the water, so the two are related.. Take distilled water at a pH of 5, and add a bunch of baking soda and it will have a pH of 8 or so. This is because the kH was raised.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
GH has NOTHING to do with pH. pH is the buffering capacity (carbonate and bi carbonate) KH. Low KH will allow the water to become acidic and or unstable but has nothing to do with GH which is primarily Ca and Mg.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Ok, so if you have a pH value of 7.5, a KH value of 0, and a GH of 2, does this mean your water is okay?

I am completely confused.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry for the underlined caps above,, odd day at work and read a couple of posts in this string and just drove in. The link to Rex's site has a very good and direct explanation of the whole deal in aquarium terms.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/waterchem.htm

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
GH has NOTHING to do with pH. pH is the buffering capacity (carbonate and bi carbonate) KH. Low KH will allow the water to become acidic and or unstable but has nothing to do with GH which is primarily Ca and Mg.
True, kH is 'carbonate hardness' which is the 'buffering capacity' of the water but I was trying to keep this simple instead of having thirty different answers and not getting the underlying point across.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Ok, so if you have a pH value of 7.5, a KH value of 0, and a GH of 2, does this mean your water is okay?

I am completely confused.
No, it means you have very soft water and no buffering capacity. Nearly distilled or RO unit striped water. GH from 3-10dGH and KH anywhere it lands out of the tap above 3dKH as a safe baseline. Below 3dKH as Brad posted and the water can become unstable in it's pH which measures as 7 neutral, Acidic below 7pH and Alkaline above. Below 5.5pH It can really start hurting things.

Gaining even a basic understanding of this within a forum format is difficult at best.
Rex's link posted above covers it very well. Sorry to any offended, I 'happy finger' few and far between for the most part. Again it's been a tense day and I probably should read and not post.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Well the person I bought some BTs told me I need to have a GH value of 3 and a KH level of 0-3. So I am gathering, I should get the dKh levels up then.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What I've been doing.
Post filter the water reads .01 TDS, drop tests for GH and KH go to end point on the first drop of reagent.

I never measure pH on the RO. I test GH + KH. What I do with it depends on which tank by whats in the tank. The KH I raise with baking soda. The GH I raise with Rex Grigg "Grumpy's GH Booster" If its just for fish and plants I usually set GH at 4 or 5dGH, if the tank has Brigs snails the minimum is 8dGH that I set.
Baking Soda = Arm & Hammer (generic may be OK) but I use A&H. Using leveled TSP measurements this what I think I get with it.
1/8 tps/6.65gallons of water = 1dKH
1/4 tsp/13.21g = 1dKH
1/2 tsp/26.42g = 1dKH so you can figure your volume from there.

2dKH usually tests as 6.8-7pH
3dKH = 7.2-7.4pH
pH readings are water w/o CO2 injected.

Generally used is the 1/2 tsp increments for me or doubled to 1 tsp.
With a gram scale 1/2tsp has weighted 2.2g repeatedly.

Hope some of this helps.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
However attempts to raise the GH usually raises the KH which in turn will raise the pH.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm also a newbie struggling to understand the chemistry behind aquarium water parameters (for breeding purposes), so learning about pH, KH, and GH have been a priority. Because forum threads on the topic usually only confuse me, I hope no one minds if this beginner imparts a few of the basics he's picked up recently:

wkndracer is right, GH is unrelated to pH and KH.

pH, as you likely know, measures the acidity/alkalinity of water, or the ratio of free floating hydrogen ions (H+) to hydoxide ions (OH-), on a logarithmic scale between 1 and 14. I imagine you understand pH, but if not feel free to ask more.

KH, or carbonate hardness, is directly related to pH. It measures carbonate and bicarbonate ion concentrations, and reflects the buffering capacity of water. This is the water's ability to prevent fluctuations in pH. The higher the measure of KH (on whatever scale, I have found several), the more stable the pH. Extreme (or even minor) changes in pH can be detrimental to fish and plant health, so it is important to maintain water with some KH (RO/DI water, for example, has none).

GH, or general hardness, is what is usually referred to by the term "water hardness." It measures metal cations in the water, specifically calcium and magnesium. I do not know if it includes the concentration of other metals or only these. It does not affect pH or KH in any way, but rather is a completely separate parameter.

On a side note, GH is related to both TDS (total dissolved solids) and conductivity. TDS is a measure of, you guessed it, all the dissolved metals in the aquarium water, including some not counted in the GH measure. For this reason, TDS can often be used to give a good approximation, but never an exact measure, of GH. The attractions between the metal ions measured in GH and TDS is what affects the conductivity of water, and so these three parameters be used to approximate each other.

Different fish and plants, have different preferences for each and every one of these parameters. Usually they do best in water than closely mimics their natural environment, although many species can adapt to a wide range of conditions. For breeding purposes (and possibly for the propagation of certain tricky plants) the conditions may need to be replicated more exactly.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voozle View Post
I'm also a newbie struggling to understand the chemistry behind aquarium water parameters (for breeding purposes), so learning about pH, KH, and GH have been a priority. Because forum threads on the topic usually only confuse me, I hope no one minds if this beginner imparts a few of the basics he's picked up recently:

wkndracer is right, GH is unrelated to pH and KH.

pH, as you likely know, measures the acidity/alkalinity of water, or the ratio of free floating hydrogen ions (H+) to hydoxide ions (OH-), on a logarithmic scale between 1 and 14. I imagine you understand pH, but if not feel free to ask more.

KH, or carbonate hardness, is directly related to pH. It measures carbonate and bicarbonate ion concentrations, and reflects the buffering capacity of water. This is the water's ability to prevent fluctuations in pH. The higher the measure of KH (on whatever scale, I have found several), the more stable the pH. Extreme (or even minor) changes in pH can be detrimental to fish and plant health, so it is important to maintain water with some KH (RO/DI water, for example, has none).

GH, or general hardness, is what is usually referred to by the term "water hardness." It measures metal cations in the water, specifically calcium and magnesium. I do not know if it includes the concentration of other metals or only these. It does not affect pH or KH in any way, but rather is a completely separate parameter.

On a side note, GH is related to both TDS (total dissolved solids) and conductivity. TDS is a measure of, you guessed it, all the dissolved metals in the aquarium water, including some not counted in the GH measure. For this reason, TDS can often be used to give a good approximation, but never an exact measure, of GH. The attractions between the metal ions measured in GH and TDS is what affects the conductivity of water, and so these three parameters be used to approximate each other.

Different fish and plants, have different preferences for each and every one of these parameters. Usually they do best in water than closely mimics their natural environment, although many species can adapt to a wide range of conditions. For breeding purposes (and possibly for the propagation of certain tricky plants) the conditions may need to be replicated more exactly.
Thank you very much for sharing. This really helped me! I understand the basics of pH and water hardness (gH).

Thanks all for the help! I really appreciate it.
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode