pH Water level won't decrease. Please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
pH Water level won't decrease. Please help!

First, I am new to these threads and happened to stumble on it when looking for CRS and BT. With that being said, I have a 20 Gallon Tall planted aquarium. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years now. Since it's initial purchase, I have put some RCSs in and they have been doing well. So as most novices go, I decided to try a hand at some more difficult shrimp (CRS or BTs as I know they crossbreed if you put them in the same tank). Only problem is, is that I have been trying to get my pH level, which was at 7.6, down to the allotted 6.6 - 7.0 that I was told to by a seller.

Now here is the dilemma, last night I did a 30% water change with distilled water. But my pH value only went down to 7.4-7.5. Should I do another water change? About 2 weeks ago, I asked my husband to a 50% change the water for me. He did, but he bought bottled Spring water, instead of RO water I had indicated. Could this be the reason why my pH value is so high? What I typically do, is do a 50% tap 50% RO'ed water change when I do, and my pH values were always consistently 6.8-7.0 when doing it this way. I just want to make sure my tank is specced at the right pH for the more expensive shrimp. I don't want to find out the expensive way, that I am doing things wrong.

P.S Sorry for the essay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You don't need to adjust your pH at all. 7.6 is a good pH reading for almost any shrimp or fish. The more you try to adjust the pH the more problems you are likely to cause.

Hoppy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for responding Hoppy. Just worried I am going to kill any new moderate care shrimp I am getting. Other then the pH, everything seems to be ok. Water is super clear though, which it hasn't been this "pristine" in awhile. But it could be from the peat I had that was staining the water that I removed.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The more you try to adjust the pH the more problems you are likely to cause.
Amen. In my limited experience, using pH up or pH down products, or chemical buffer products is way worse for the health of the fish than simply having a pH value that's a little off, and stable. Plus those phosphoric acid pH down products must be dumping a ton of phosphorus in your tank.

You might try doing something gradual, like introducing a piece of driftwood, if you don't already have one, or filtering with peat.

I'm working on a conspiracy theory that has pet stores pushing the sale of pH adjuster products so that you will kill your fish and have to come back and buy more.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I refuse to use any pH stability products. Outside of water conditioner and aquarium salt, nothing else goes into my tank. As I know what you put in, stays there. But outside of a lone algae fish, this tank is for shrimp only.

I have 2 large pieces of driftwood, a large mineral rock (more for place for my critters to hide in), and plants. I was filtering with peat before, maybe I should do that again. Just not use to my pH levels being so high. They were always constantly at about 6.8-7.0. Since my dork of a husband used the wrong water, its been at 7.6. Just was worried that my new BTs came in, it would be too high.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would X the aquarium salt.
With those shrimps the only thing I worry about is the GH and the KH. My Ph is like yours, and i keep BT. I keep the GH around 5, and the KH around 3. They are pretty easy to keep with the right conditions.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't put the salt in, in god's know how long. I bought it a year ago, and it still has most of it in it. I stopped using it in this tank as soon as I made it for shrimp only. Only use it for my 10 gallon that has a Dragon fish in it now.

But its good to know someone who has a higher pH level that has BTs. I need to get more tests for my GH and KH though. Hopefully that isn't out of wack.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok so I went and bought a full water test and these are the results I got

GH = 2
KH = 0/1 (it immediately changed to the color it needed to be)
pH = 7.5

This okay or should I worry?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

little bit low. what's your tap water?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The only pH value that is important is stability. Changing it asking for a nightmare.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Good advice from several knowledgeable posters. To sum up: stability is most important thing. What's the most stable source of water day in and day out? Your tap water of course! If you ever needed to do a large emergency water change and were out of RO/distilled water what would you do? Most of what I've seen posted here regarding shrimp indicates that above 7.0 pH and harder water (as in not soft water) is best for crustaceans. Not a shrimp keeper myself but that only makes sense doesn't it? Don't they need calcium and magnesium to build their exoskeletons with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
Good advice from several knowledgeable posters. To sum up: stability is most important thing. What's the most stable source of water day in and day out? Your tap water of course! If you ever needed to do a large emergency water change and were out of RO/distilled water what would you do? Most of what I've seen posted here regarding shrimp indicates that above 7.0 pH and harder water (as in not soft water) is best for crustaceans. Not a shrimp keeper myself but that only makes sense doesn't it? Don't they need calcium and magnesium to build their exoskeletons with?
Yes for most shrimp, but the kind she wants to keep are soft water shrimp. Calcium should be in their diet.

Last edited by Nue; 03-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think, but don't know for sure, that shrimp exoskeletons are primarily protein, not calcium or other mineral. And, the same is true, I think, for snails. Perhaps someone who knows for sure will tell us?

Hoppy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Ok so I went and bought a full water test and these are the results I got
GH = 2
KH = 0/1 (it immediately changed to the color it needed to be)
pH = 7.5
This okay or should I worry?
IMHO you need to raise KH to at least 2 or 3dKH. You could do a test in another container to verify but I would not expect to see a rise in pH above the 7.5pH your already testing. Adding carbonate would just stabilize against swings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I retested today and the results I got were a bit different.

GH = 3
KH = 2 (I boosted it with a little bit of baking soda)
pH = 7.5 and steady

But apparently BTs prefer soft water, so I guess everything is A-okay. Anyone know of any community fish that like soft water? Thinking about adding a few that won't eat my BTs or RCSs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode