Drop checker blue not turning green - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop checker blue not turning green

My pH controller is set at 6.3. ph is 6.3 water Kh is 4. I did a water change with 15 gallons of RO water with a pH of 6.8. It has been 2 days and not turning green. I aerated the tank to raise the pH and the controller turned on and dropped the pH. How can I test the drop checker fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd suspect the pH meter on the controller - that's likely the problem. Have you calibrated it recently? That is far more likely to be incorrect than the drop checker fluid.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The probe is only 2 months old. I just calibrated it when I did water change. Plants are pearling.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try placing your probe in your PH4 or PH7 calibration solution and see how far of it is. With a PH of 6.2-6.3 and a KH of 4 your drop checker should be bright green.
Either your probe needs calibration/replacing (most likely)
or your indicator solution in your drop checker is faulty for some reason (not very likely).

Edit: Posted before your replied, that's very odd then. The new probe you got what is its best before date on the package? If your probe turns out ok then it must be the indicator solution which sounds kinda weird. :S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What type of water did you use in the drop checker? It has to be a specific KH for them to work. Many drop checkers say to use aquarium water for some reason. That's simply wrong.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

4kh water
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you have a ph test kit with the test solution? If so try using that solution instead of what came with the drop checker. Had this happen to me and the solution that was sent with the drop checker was bad.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode