Using Dolomite - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Dolomite

So I have this stuff, and I wonder if it can be used as substrate alone or should it be mixed into a substrate. I have some in a jar of water now. It is small dark grey pellets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Forget using it as substrate alone...it dissolved into muddy brown water. So the gravel sized rock that is used in road construction would be a better choice for substrate. Aragonite and crushed coral is another way to go about this from what I've heard. But dosing an aquarium with the form pictured in the first post seems possible. Dirty, but possible.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Planted Member

Be careful with the pellets as they are coated with a resin.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It would make a great substrate supplement since it dissolves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I find that lime number terrifying for some reason. I have no idea what lime would even do in a tank environment. I've worked with this kind of stuff around the yard due to acidic soil and it's never pleasant. I've never used pellet form so maybe it isn't as bad, but the powder is awful.

I'm not here to tell you what to do. It does seem as though the all mighty miracle of Dolomite and the perfect formula to use is being kept secret. Crushed coral is easy. I have Aqua Clear HOB's, so I added a tiny amount to the 10 gallon in a filter bag and a slightly larger amount to the 29, also in a filter bag. If I didn't buy crushed coral, I would have bought substrate for cichlid tanks. It is made specifically to bolster pH and water hardness. It's also tank safe, so no fear of what might happen when something that typically is not found in a fish tank is introduced.

Good luck!
Leeatl, Leeatl, uptown and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't know what type of resin is used to coat these pellets, but I hope it's not poison to me or my fish and plants. I poured .5 cup (I wrote 1 cup earlier, but I read the lines on the jar wrong) of the muddy water into the 20 gallon planter pond. It was already at 7.6 pH. So will it go down or up with this stuff? Will the GH be off the charts? Will the KH go off the charts too? I suspect it will.

mrfiock and mrfiock like this.

Last edited by AWolf; 05-29-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Changed amount to .5 cups (read lines on jar wrong)
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ive used limestone in my cichlid tanks. The lime I used was large rocks from a limestone quarry that I used as decorations and caves, think Texas holey rock without the holes. The most notable effect, and the reason I used it, was a ph change from out of the tap at 7.8 to 8.6 in tank.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

I suspect greatly that your experiment will result in not only a rise in PH but the other mentioned GH and KH. Of course those plants could also die because of the resin coating. I'm sure the bag does not say what it is either.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomie View Post
Be careful with the pellets as they are coated with a resin.
I was looking at the bag and missed that. I was wondering where this info comes from. Also if it doesnt harm terrestrial plants I wonder how much danger there really is to aquatic plants? If there is a resin coating then fish and inverts may be harmed but plants I have doubts. I tend to think the rise in ph, gh, and kh would be the bigger danger if overdosed.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Ive used limestone in my cichlid tanks. The lime I used was large rocks from a limestone quarry that I used as decorations and caves, think Texas holey rock without the holes. The most notable effect, and the reason I used it, was a ph change from out of the tap at 7.8 to 8.6 in tank.
Ouch, that is taking the pH in the wrong direction for my fish and plants, I think. My understanding is that plants do well in low pH, not high. I now have to consider using Baking Soda? Yuc, more stuff. But, didn't I see a lot of carbon in the analysis? Maybe that will keep this type of Lime from raising the pH too much. I need a chemistry tune-up.
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think lime like this might be really useful to pre-charge kitty litter or safe-t-sorb.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I think lime like this might be really useful to pre-charge kitty litter or safe-t-sorb.
Or coir (coconut husk/bark). Coir binds calcium from what I have read. I really don't know what the ramifications are from calcium binding substrates. Is it available to plant roots touching it? Would there be less calcium in the water column? Was the ratio mentioned in another post as important 4-1 mg/ca or ca/mg? I'll have to check.

It is 4:1 Ca:Mg according to other posts.

Last edited by AWolf; 05-29-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Add Ratio
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
Or coir (coconut husk/bark). Coir binds calcium from what I have read. I really don't know what the ramifications are from calcium binding substrates. Is it available to plant roots touching it? Would there be less calcium in the water column? Was the ratio mentioned in another post as important 4-1 mg/ca or ca/mg? I'll have to check.
From what I gather and extrapolate is stability. I have read that Montmorillonite clay absorbs carbonates from the water column causing an initial kh and ph drop. Pre-charging it with dolomite would avoid that problem and give some system stability from the get go. I am going to be testing this theory on my next tank. I will be using cat litter as a bottom layer and will be pre-charging it with dolomite.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

You can see three layers as it settles. The planter pond is clearing up already.

I forgot to add the recipe:
2.5 cups water
.5 cups pellet
Stir
Pour .5 cups into 20 gallon pond and wait for all hell to break loose.

post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
I find that lime number terrifying for some reason. I have no idea what lime would even do in a tank environment. I've worked with this kind of stuff around the yard due to acidic soil and it's never pleasant. I've never used pellet form so maybe it isn't as bad, but the powder is awful.

Good luck!
It stinks too. I can imagine you need a respirator when using the powder. I have no clue how this will turn out, but since I had the lime on hand and the subject came up...why not?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode