Cycle question with seeded media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cycle question with seeded media

I am wondering if I took a lot of bio media from my established tank, can I assume that the new tank is already cycled because of this? I have been adding some fish food which causes some ammonia, but the ammonia is quickly brought back down to zero. Think I'm ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
That's a loaded question with a lot of variables.
How bigs the tank?
Is it planted?
How quickly/ how many critters are you adding?
Everything creating waste in the tank will add to its total biomass. Your beneficial bacteria colony has to be large enough support/ comvert the waste being created.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevwall View Post
That's a loaded question with a lot of variables.
How bigs the tank?
Is it planted?
How quickly/ how many critters are you adding?
Everything creating waste in the tank will add to its total biomass. Your beneficial bacteria colony has to be large enough support/ comvert the waste being created.
And I guess my reasoning for thinking it may be ok is that it will be a shrimp tank. 10 gallon with about ten neos to start. Planted but minimally. It's is a carpet tank only (iwaguami, spelled wrong I'm sure lol)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh yeah, shrimp, are far as biomass is concerned, are barely a blip on the radar. You should be good to go. I would still recommend testing your ammonia levels twice a day. If you get a reading, it's time for a partial water change.

Purigen is pretty cool too, if you don't feel like testing. Will throw all your concerns out the window.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-30-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Purigen is pretty cool too, if you don't feel like testing. Will throw all your concerns out the window.
Yeah I was thinking of getting Purigen. Not really for the cycle part of things but just for clarity. Do you all know if Purigen will help remove tannins from soil? I know I just need to keep doing water changes to slowly remove the tannins but was wondering if Purigen would help?

Quote:
Oh yeah, shrimp, are far as biomass is concerned, are barely a blip on the radar. You should be good to go. I would still recommend testing your ammonia levels twice a day. If you get a reading, it's time for a partial water change.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Low bio mass anyway. I will keep testing ammonia. It only became present when I was feeding the tank food which I imagine will be more of a contributor than some shrimp
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do not take so much from the donor tank that it has a problem handling the ammonia from the livestock in there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Do not take so much from the donor tank that it has a problem handling the ammonia from the livestock in there.
Yeah no worries there. I just reduced the livestock to basically shrimp only on that one too
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I ended up not adding anything to the tank other than a snail (common,nusance type) to see how it would fair. It's doing fine but now the ammonia is a little higher and now am registering nitrite as well as the nitrate that was already there. Well I guess I'm cycl'n. I'm assuming this is mainly from the ammonia being released from the soil in combination with the snail. Oh well I don't mind waiting longer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode