Test kits?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Test kits??

About to start dosing ferts and looking for test kits other than Api. Been looking all over this forum for recommendations and haven't seen anything.

What test kits and brand does everyone recommend?

Using pps-pro fert

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have used a couple of Red Sea test kits and do not recommend them. I have used Jungle and Tetra dip sticks. As long as you are just comparing the results over time to see if something is higher or lower they are OK. I do not have a problem with accuracy of most of the tests on the dip sticks, but the KH test sometimes reads pretty weird. Dip sticks are fast, too.

If you want quality, Hatch and Salifert are top end.

There are probes for several things, and as long as you keep them calibrated they are better than the hobby level test kits.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks what are the test kits to have? I may have some already from our salt tank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I like salifert for nitrate. Everything else api seems okay. Old gh and kh api are not good so make sure they are not outdated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the api kits, granted I haven't tried anything else... only gripe was the test tubes... a syringe and a couple 50 ml flasks fixed that... measure water with syringe, add water, add reagents, swirl, wait and read. Or for GH/kh add water, drop, swirl, drop, swirl, etc until the color changes, is WAY easier, now the worst part is shaping the bottles and that really is pretty simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ammonia and Nitrite during cycling and in case of a problem with the nitrogen cycle bacteria.
Nitrate.
GH, KH and pH for mineral levels. If you want to adjust the pH you will need to know the KH.

Other fertilizers are optional:
Iron, Phosphorus, Calcium (make sure it is a fresh water test, salt water calcium tests won't work in fresh water)

If your water company adds varying levels of chlorine or chloramine, then a chlorine test can help you to know if you need to increase the dechlor dose. I use a strip for this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im using my Rodi unit from my salt setup and luckily the tank has been up for over a year now. Just getting tank full of plants and wanting to play with ferts.

Thank you, I'll have to order a few tests but think most I have will work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode