CO2 bell vacation questions...need help within 2hours! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 bell vacation questions...need help within 2hours!

I am leaving on vacation to the beach TODAY in just a few hours, trusting my grandfather with the job of taking care of my tanks. One of them is a 7 gallon and has the Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit which has a CO2 bell instead of a normal diffuser:
http://goo.gl/Igq8Oo
I have already instructed my grandfather on how to feed the fish, but I forgot to tell him about filling the bell each night...also, he wouldn't be able to do it in the morning because of his work, and would have to do it only once a day (2 is preferable) when he comes at about 6 pm to feed the fish. I have never been the best at punctuality myself when it comes to filling the bell twice a day , so the fish are used to having it filled once a day or even not at all (rarely, but it still happens). I also dose excel, but, due to another thread, I have decided to keep it simple and not to ask him to dose excel during the week I am away. So my question is this:

Would it cause any problems to stop filling the CO2 bell for a week?

I am a little scared that it will raise my already high pH (7.4/ 7.6) and stress the fish. There are 3 sparkling gouramis in the tank (they get along fine, because at least 2 of them are female), but they have all adapted well to the alkalinity of the water.

Any advice is welcome ! Please hurry!

Ain't nothin' better than a dwarf puffer to greet you at the door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmm, vacation time and relatives are always good ingredients for a drama...

I would not worry about the fish, the pH fluctuates under normal routine with the setup you have. They will not suffer from less CO2, however plants might. Depending on your light and setup you could return to an algae farm. So if he can and knows what he is doing, it would be best to turn it on 2 hours before the lights turn on. That being said, I stopped cold turkey from CO2, still kept the high light and had little problems with algae... the army of RCS minions might have helped.

Other than to lower the pH, CO2 at night does no good.

Hope everything turns out good for you.

PS. Reminded me of a similar holiday-grandpa-aquariums when I was young.... returned to a catalog of fish that died... nice of them to keep the record

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Stopping injected CO2 abruptly can cause some algae and growth issues. A CO2 bell? Never used one.

Some algae and possibly growth issues are easy to fix when you get home. Administering CO2 incorrectly? Dead fish. That can't be fixed.

I would just ask him to feed your fish and dose whatever it is your'e dosing. Keep it simple. Your tank will not self destruct beyond repair in a week!

Quit worrying about your tank and enjoy your vacation!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode