2Likes
  • 1 Post By burr740
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Metricide dosing?

I know you can substitute metricide for excel because they are both glute., but what is the recommended dosage in ml per 5 gallon for metricide without diluting it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi aquanauts,

There are two Metricides, Metricide 14 and Metricide 28. If you are referring to Metricide 14 which is 2.6% glutaraldehyde then 2.88ml of Metricide 14 equals 5.0ml of Seachem Excel (1.5% glutaraldehyde). For a 5 gallon tank then the dosing would be:
Initial Dose = 1.44ml Metricide 14
Daily Dose = 0.29ml Metricide 14

If you want to make an Excel strength mixture, then add 42.3 ml of water to 57.7 ml of Metricide 14 or roughly 4 parts water mixed with 6 parts Metricide 14 equals Excel strength solution.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 05-30-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added amount of H20 to add to Metricide 14 to give Excel strength mixture.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I bought the 28 by mistake. What is the dose for that one.
I was using the Excel in a 10g tank @ 2 ml per day.

I only have one 10g tank that I was using this in so I really didn't want a gallon.
I saw the Quart and clicked on purchase before I noticed it being the 28.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 05-30-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: explanation...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Raymond S.

No problems, Metricide 28 is 2.5% glutaraldehyde. Seachem Excel is 1.5% glutaraldehyde. Therefore 3.0 ml of Metricide 28 equals 5.0 ml of Seachem Excel.

For a 10 gallon tank using Metricide 28 the doses would be:
Initial Dose = 3.0 ml
Daily Dose = 0.6 ml

If you want to make an Excel strength mixture, then add 40.0 ml of water to 60.0 ml of Metricide 28 or 4 parts water mixed with 6 parts Metricide 28 equals Excel strength solution exactly.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well like I said, I'm using 2ml per dose of Excel each day.
So what I need is the amount of Metricide 28 that equals 2ml of Excel.
Since it is said to dissipate in 24 hrs, I see no function in making an initial dose
or a different size dose just after the water change like the bottle of Excel
suggest.
Appreciate your help. See in your signature that you have a 30L tank.
If I had no other hobbies I'd likely have a 75g tank as my favorite.
But I had a 30L when I was 14 and I'm trying to get one now as it's likely
my favorite size other than the 75g.
I don't watch my tanks from across the room. I place them on a stand that
makes them eye level when your sitting in a regular chair and that chair is
right in front of the tank. When looked at that way you can't see all of the
30L without moving your chair. So what is the point of a longer tank ?
And I do fish like Elassomas so the 18" 40B would be counterproductive
for seeing my fish or details in the back of the tank. So the 30L is perfect.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Raymond S.

The reason the Initial Dose after a >40% water change is five times (5X) the Daily Dose is to replenish the carbon molecules that were lost with the water change; once the carbon molecules have been replenished to normal levels the Daily Dose maintains the available carbon molecule level.

In answer to your question, 2.0ml of Seachem Excel would equal 1.15ml of Metricide 28.

Roy_________

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Roy... I have seen a number of your posts that state that Metricide 14 should be diluted to become an Excel equivalent since Metricide 14 contains 2.6% glutaraldehyde ans Seachem Excel contains 1.5% glutaraldehyde. Upon closer inpection of the label on my Seachem Excel bottle, its states that it contains 2.5% of Polycycloglutaracetal. I assume Polycycloglutaracetal is just their trademark name for glutaraldehyde but the concentration is puzzling me because if Polycycloglutaracetal is a 1:1 equivalent for glutaraldehyde, then this would suggest no dilution is needed. I contacted Seachem to see if they have changed their formulation or increased the concentration and they say no. It is still the original formula. So should we still dilute Metricide as though Excel should be at 1.6% glutaraldehyde?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I bought the 28 by mistake. What is the dose for that one.
I was using the Excel in a 10g tank @ 2 ml per day.

I only have one 10g tank that I was using this in so I really didn't want a gallon.
I saw the Quart and clicked on purchase before I noticed it being the 28.

doesn't Met28 have added stuff you don't want?
Quote:
Contains surfactants
Met14
Quote:
Contains no surfactants

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-16-2018 at 01:35 AM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
I believe the only difference in the 14 and 28 is how long it lasts as a sterilizing agent using the activator as it is intended. The 14 is good for 14 days, the 28 for 28.

Which is irrelevant because we dont use the activator
Austin Ron likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipwich74 View Post
Hi Roy... I have seen a number of your posts that state that Metricide 14 should be diluted to become an Excel equivalent since Metricide 14 contains 2.6% glutaraldehyde ans Seachem Excel contains 1.5% glutaraldehyde. Upon closer inpection of the label on my Seachem Excel bottle, its states that it contains 2.5% of Polycycloglutaracetal. I assume Polycycloglutaracetal is just their trademark name for glutaraldehyde but the concentration is puzzling me because if Polycycloglutaracetal is a 1:1 equivalent for glutaraldehyde, then this would suggest no dilution is needed. I contacted Seachem to see if they have changed their formulation or increased the concentration and they say no. It is still the original formula. So should we still dilute Metricide as though Excel should be at 1.6% glutaraldehyde?

Hi @chipwich74,

I don't say folks should dilute Metricide to Excel concentration; however some have asked how to do it. I just downloaded the Seachem Flourish Excel Safety Data Sheet form their website (see attachment below). Section 3 does not state the ingredients nor the concentration; it just states:
Quote:
* Proprietary aqueous solution of salts. The identity and weight of proprietary, non-hazardous,
main ingredients are withheld as a trade secret. Other ingredients are present in amounts less
than 1% and are non-hazardous.
The original testing of the glutaraldehyde concentration was done Apr 12, 2006 (see 9:09 pm post) so it is possible that Seachem has changed the concentration level over the years. If you could take a picture of the label showing the information about "2.5% Polycycloglutaracetal" and post it in this thread it would be helpful.

But what is "Polycycloglutaracetal". Apparently it is a 'proprietary' ingredient; poly = 'many molecule'; cyclo = 'in a ring'; glutarcetal = derived from glutarate. If the formula has not changed then it is still equivalent to 1.5% concentration glutaraldehyde according to the testing done in 2006.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flourish Excel SDS 20160107 1.pdf (187.1 KB, 8 views)

Roy_________

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's listed on the bottle as (can supply photo if needed):
2.5% polycycloglutaracetal..

OLD excerpt from the Seachem MSDS..

Quote:
Here's an extract from the MSDS of Flourish Excel from Seachem.

/ParaGuard, HealthGuard , Pond HealthGuard, *Flourish Excel*,
StressGuard [NFPA 1,0,1]:
*Principal ingredient is glutaraldehyde *with ameliorating
ingredients, pH 7. ParaGuard also contains malachite green.
Malachite green is a
possible carcinogen. Ingestion may cause severe gastric disturbance.
May cause moderate irritation of mouth. If ingested, drink large
quantities of milk or water. Universal antidote (charcoal) is
useful. If enough is swallowed to cause distress, seek medical
attention. Eye
contact will cause severe irritation. Flush eyes copiously with
water. Seek medical attention./
Kind of a mess if you ask me:
Quote:
I did my research and found that the formula for Excel appears to have changed. Old posts said that Excel was 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. New Excel label says that its 2.5% Polycycloglutaracetal , but the dosing instructions remain unchanged:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...d-formula.html

Want to make it messier??
Check out the photos..and msds..
Quote:
2% acetal form of 1,5 pentandial
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?b...tTypeCall=true

(CAS) 111-30-8
http://www.chemicalbook.com/Chemical..._CB3762723.htm
in 2008

current US MSDS:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iu6wapszk...20160107+1.pdf

stuff
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/1985-12-10
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-16-2018 at 05:32 AM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode