Questions about Excel dosage time and vacation! ANY TIPS ARE WELCOME! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bsherwood
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about Excel dosage time and vacation! ANY TIPS ARE WELCOME!

I am going to leave for the beach in a few days, and I am leaving my grandfather in charge of my tanks. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, I want to limit the amount of work he needs to do while I am away. I usually feed at night and dose excel in the morning, and I am wondering if it causes problems to dose excel at night. That would make it much easier to for my grand father, who would then only visit the house once a day. He couldn't feed and dose excel in the morning, because he usually leaves for work at about 8 AM (my lights turn on at 10 AM and off at 10 PM). Does dosing excel at night (before the lights turn off) cause problems?

Also, if you guys have any other tips for keeping fish alive and healthy while on vacation, they would be more than welcome!

Ain't nothin' better than a dwarf puffer to greet you at the door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I went to Italy for 2 weeks. I had my dad feed everyother day. I skipped all ferts and dosing.

no issues, no water changes, no worries.
Pattern8 and Pattern8 like this.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
I went to Italy for 2 weeks. I had my dad feed everyother day. I skipped all ferts and dosing.

no issues, no water changes, no worries.
I agree feed a little every other day and add excel at each feeding or not at all.How long will you be gone and will you take me with you

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It won't cause any problems. It's better to dose in the morning since it only last for 24 hours maximum. Will you see a noticeable difference in a week or so of night dosing? No. In fact you probably wouldn't notice much difference if he only dosed fertilizers and no Excel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey guys thanks for the great answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
I agree feed a little every other day and add excel at each feeding or not at all.How long will you be gone and will you take me with you
I will only be gone for a week.

Also, multiple of you said that they should be fed only every other day. I have lots of tiny nano fish (dwarf puffer, endler's, chili rasboras, etc.) which I have heard really should be fed even more than once a day (in the morning and at night). I only feed them once a day (slacker me ) and was planning on telling my grandfather to skip maybe one day. Wouldn't nano fish get hungry if more than one day during the week was skipped? My puffer looks skinny after only one day of not feeding...

Ain't nothin' better than a dwarf puffer to greet you at the door!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Iwagumist,

The family and I went to Hawaii for 10 days. I had a friend come in and feed every other day (pre-made baggies with same amount of food I feed daily - fish diet program); cut the lights back to about 2/3 normal photoperiod; and no ferts. All fish and plants come through in great shape.
irishspy and irishspy like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hmmm

Italy...

Hawaii...

I apparently need to get a life!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A really simple solution is to change the light schedule, so they come on at 8:00am or earlier and go off 6 hours later. That will reduce the need for nutrients, and all should be well. Then your granddad can dose the Excel when he feeds the fish.

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long are you going to be gone for? If it's a week or so, if just reduce the lighting schedule to 3-4 hours and do nothing. No feeding, no ferts, nothing and then resume like normal when you return. Everything should be just fine. Unless you have large fish in with micros or shrimp, then one might get snacked on

Help build the [
] and [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode