What went wrong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Question What went wrong?

In the last three weeks I have lost all of my Alternanthera reineckii, all but one Val which is dieing now, and my Ammannia gracilis has started to stunt and twist.

The only algae I have the seems to be coming back is green spot algae on the glass and a very little BBA on the spray bar which is right up next to the light.

Thank specs-
29 gallon
96 watts 8800k @ 8hr
Pressurized [email protected] 2bps I think.

Fert Dosing

1/4tps KNO3 3xweek
1/16tps KH2PO4 3xweek
1/16tsp K2SO4 3xweek
CSM+B 3xweek
1ml Seachem Iron

Once a week water change.

All of these plants were growing fine until three weeks ago.

Pics.

The last remaining Val.

What went wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Do you have a drop checker so you know about how much CO2 is in the tank? Also how is the flow and when was the filter setup or last cleaned out. Do you vaccum the substrate when you change the water?

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I don't know what light fixture that is, but it seems like a lot of light for that tank. Enough light that you need to keep the CO2 concentration almost at the point where the fish are bothered by it, and you need good water surface rippling to keep the oxygen content in the water up so the fish can accept CO2 better. A drop checker would help you determine what bubble rate that requires, but eventually you just have to slowly increase the bubble rate until the plants pearl well and the fish aren't yet bothered by the CO2. I suspect you had acceptable growth originally because you had less plant mass in the tank, but as they grew, they needed still more CO2, and you didn't have enough.

Hoppy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't know what light fixture that is, but it seems like a lot of light for that tank. Enough light that you need to keep the CO2 concentration almost at the point where the fish are bothered by it, and you need good water surface rippling to keep the oxygen content in the water up so the fish can accept CO2 better. A drop checker would help you determine what bubble rate that requires, but eventually you just have to slowly increase the bubble rate until the plants pearl well and the fish aren't yet bothered by the CO2. I suspect you had acceptable growth originally because you had less plant mass in the tank, but as they grew, they needed still more CO2, and you didn't have enough.
It's a current light fixture. I also have a drop checker which is yellow green that has 4DKH solution from SUMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
It's a current light fixture. I also have a drop checker which is yellow green that has 4DKH solution from SUMO.
CF? What kind of light fixture? I think that's what Hoppy is asking...

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
96 watts sounds like a 4x24 T5HO fixture or a 36" 96 watt CF fixture. Being a 30" tank I bet its probably a 4x24 though, and if so is completely overkill.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Agree that no matter what type of fixture you have the problem is too much light and not enough CO2 to support that level of lighting. Too much light without adequate nutrients and CO2 will stunt your plants not make them grow better.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
CF? What kind of light fixture? I think that's what Hoppy is asking...
Sorry it's a CF. 36" Single Satellite 1 x 96 watt See here- http://www.current-usa.com/satellite.html

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With that fixture I suspect you have medium light intensity. That makes CO2 less critical, but I still have to think it is too little CO2 that is causing you problems.

Hoppy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
With that fixture I suspect you have medium light intensity. That makes CO2 less critical, but I still have to think it is too little CO2 that is causing you problems.
I have 3.3wpg which would make it a high light tank according to the wpg "rule". Did something changed that I did not know? I raised the Co2 last night which I think I did too fast because My Yo yo loach and corries were on their sides this am. I did a water change and they all bounced back. It seems that all the left over pressure had not bleed off by this morning and was still pumping Co2 into the tank. I am using the Boyu Diffuser. I checked the solenoid and it's working fine.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If the solenoid is working properly it should shut off the gas flow completely when the solenoid shuts off for the night.

Never turn up your CO2 when you are not going to be available to watch the tank. Best to make adjustments early in the day and then monitor the tank. It is not unusual to get a build up late in the photoperiod so always make small adjustments.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
id second that.

I see green spots of algae on your glass to, thats a small indicator of low co2. Could also be poor co2 circulation judging from the hair algae on the leaves also. I had the same issue.

If you turn up your co2 from what your fish are used to they will show it. Raise it very slowly like 1bps more every 2 hours.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
id second that.

I see green spots of algae on your glass to, thats a small indicator of low co2. Could also be poor co2 circulation judging from the hair algae on the leaves also. I had the same issue.

If you turn up your co2 from what your fish are used to they will show it. Raise it very slowly like 1bps more every 2 hours.
I don't deny that I may not have enough Co2 but I think I have more then enough light for it to be considered a high light tank. Everything I have read about lighting on this forum and APC says that I have a high light tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode