egg shells as ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
egg shells as ferts

My vals and my swords are showing signs of potassium and calcium (i think) deficiency. They have pinholes and in the leaves which are curling in places, and also paleness.

Egg shells are good K and Ca ferts for terrestrials so i'm thinking of trying it in my tanks. I'm going to bake the shells to dry them out and crush them into a rough powder as i would for my land plants. I'm going try to get into the substrate as best i can and only use a small amount (1/2 or 1 teaspoon at the roots of affected plants) so as not to raise my pH and distress my fish.

Has anyone used crushed egg shells as ferts and found them to be helpful? (And yes i am cheap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I use eggshells for Ca for my snails (they eat it) . I just dry bit's of it out then drop it in the tanks the snails do the rest. But it's not going to leach Ca in any meaningful way that your plants can use.

There are products out there for Ca and Mg but your probably getting enough in your micro fert whether that's flourish or CSM+B. You could does your micro a bit heaver or us a GH Booster but I wouldn't be to sure to diagnose it as a Ca issue I'd suspect C02 before that since almost every micro fert line that I know of gives enough Ca along with your tap water.

-Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think i have misrepresented myself. I don't dose any ferts, just fish poo. I'm thinking of getting some fert spikes or root tabs for the swords and vals but i'm always wanting a cheap long term alternative first.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Ah that makes more since then, I would recommend buying dry ferts then from ether GreenleafAquariums or AquariumFertilizer.

What you want to get depends on how much light you have in the tank (T12,T8,T5,T5-HO,HQI). Is it the 29gal in your sig? If so is that Coralife fixture a T5-NO or T5-HO, the one that PetCo sells is a T5-HO and if that's it then you have more light than you might think.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah it's for my 29 gallon. It has coralife t5 fixture with one colormax and one 6500k bulb. I'll check out the places you recommended. But I've gone ahead with my egg plan. Muhahaha
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

You won't hurt anything by trying the eggshells and your experience may vary from mine so I'd say go for it. The ferts will be the big impact change you'll make it takes a month or so but you will see improvements.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode