EI, water changes, fish/inverters stress and iron chelate questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
EI, water changes, fish/inverters stress and iron chelate questions.

I've been mixing solutions and adding them to my tank, but in the end I got algae. I'm new to dry fertilizing so it most be me doing things wrong with the mixing and dosing. I'd like to change to the EI dosing, but have some questions.

I read that with EI dosing you need to do a 50% water change every week. That's fine with me, but 50% is a lot. How do you minimize the stress on your fish and especially your inverts (shrimp or snails)?

Also, if I'd get 13.8% Iron Chelate, how can I incorporate that to the EI regime? I mean how much should I measure x3 per week?

Tank 1: 5G. 20watts of colormax CF light. DIY CO2.
Tank 2: 20G long. 36 watts of T-5 light. DIY CO2.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
2.5 gallon and 10 gallons of water change a week is not a lot.
Fish/inverts are fine, I have 1000 RCS, some a really super blood reds, cards and many other so called sensitive fish.

You cannot over do water changes really.
They will only help, but at some point, doing more really does not help.

Dosing is not everything, light and CO2 are more prominent if algae and plant health, nutrients are rather easy and simple to rule out as possible issues.

Get light/CO2 in line, then you can manipulate the nutrients and see much better the effects.

I might add the 13.8 % chelate, say 1 teaspoon to each table spoon of CMS+B mix.

What type of chelate is it?

I do up to 80% without issues, never had any water change related issues for that matter other than perhaps a lack of them.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
beautiful tank!!!!!!!!!!!! whats the specs on it and what r u using??? and ur levels of dkh,gh , etc

what type of plant u have on the foreground

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I also have done really big water changes, and they do not in themselves cause problems, even when I accidentally did about a 90% water change. Oops. Fish were lying on the bottom.

The new water ought to be similar in TDS, GH, KH and temperature to the old water. The larger the water change the closer these parameters need to match.

As for how to make it the least stressful, if you think the lowered water level is the cause of stress, then you can do a constant in/constant out sort of water change. Set up the incoming water to be a bit slower than you are siphoning out the old water, and the water level will drop slowly, probably not even 25% of the way down. At least you are sure the new water will not be flooding onto the floor. Remove the siphon when you feel you have done enough of a water change, and allow the incoming water to top up the tank. Harder to judge the % or volume of the water change that way, but I have gotten good enough to use a garbage can to prep the new water, and have it come out just right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank you for your responses.
What type of chelate is it is a good question... I might stick to Seachem's for a while until I get a little more information about it. Also thank you for pointing out the light/CO2 as my possible issue. I'll pay more attention to that now.

The idea of a constant in/constant out water change sounds interesting too. I might try that as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to add that that's a beautiful tank indeed. What type of substrate is it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode