Thrive All In One Liquid Fertilizer? Yay or Nay? - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thrive All In One Liquid Fertilizer? Yay or Nay?

So I see this new fert is on the market offered by Nilcog Aquatics. Apparently its a all in one Macro and Micro fert including Phosphate and Iron. I just have been doing Flourish comprehensive on my low tech 29 and have been getting okay results, but not the best. I just ordered myself a Current Satellite LED plus (Yay!) and I want to start fertilizing the correct way. Should I try it? Or should I just go with the dry fert package? What I like about this liquid all in one is that I would only have to dose 2-3x per week for my low light setup followed by a 30% water change on day 7, whereas with the dry I would have to dose everyday then do a huge 50% water change on day 7. Seems like an overkill and a waste of ferts. What do you think?

In addition should I get Flourish excel? I'm not dosing Co2 in my tank. Always scared that it would kill my marimos and melt my anubias.

From their site:
Intoducing Thrive All In One(AIO) Liquid fertilizer-

This AIO is a highly concentrated liquid fertilizer which supplies all the necessary micro and macro nutrients to ensure that your plants thrive. Full 3x per week dosing provides enough NPK and micros for even the most demanding tanks.

Myth- You can't have Iron and phosphate in one solution.
Truth- While its normally suggested that you do not mix these two in solution, it is possible with a few additions to the solution.

Thrive All In One Liquid Fertilizer | 500ml Bottle - NilocG Aquatics

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

It bothers me when they don't list the contents on their front page. It appears I would have to go out of my way to see what is in this fertilizer. List of ingredients? Something to tell me what kind of iron chelation and amounts? I don't like that. The first thing you should see is what the product is, not what it can do.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
List of ingredients?
It says, at least per the picture on the bottle: Contains Nitrate, Phosphate, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Boron, Manganese, Molybdenum, and Zinc.

Bump: Nilcog also has a Macro and Micro liquid fert, in separate bottles. All ingredients and amounts are listed.
http://nilocg.com/liquid-npk-m/

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France

Last edited by Nazasaki; 05-13-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: added link to website

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazasaki View Post
It says, at least per the picture on the bottle: Contains Nitrate, Phosphate, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Boron, Manganese, Molybdenum, and Zinc.
Amounts and types is more important to me. My problem is their web page lack of description. And if that is all the bottle says, and does not mention amounts and types somewhere, it would be hard to say what value it has in aquariums. I remain skeptical without the metrics. I hate hate hate when the first web page defines the product loosely like ...some of this, some of that. I'm trying not to kill any fish and the fastest way to kill them is with fertilizing. I have a new respect for those on this and other forums that have kept planted tanks with fish while fertilizing. I would be willing to bet 10 bucks that the best planted tanks know exactly how much of any substance is entering their water column, and mix their own fertilizers. So pre-mixed product with hard to find specs will always be suspect to me.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
So pre-mixed product with hard to find specs will always be suspect to me.
So in that case would The PPS Pro fertilizer package from Green Leaf Aquatics be a better choice? I didn't want to do dry but I see your point in putting something into my tank that I'm not too sure about. I would only do the dry about 2x per week.

I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time and money doing this for such a low tech tank... I think I may just stick to the Flourish Comprehensive and maybe add some Excel.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-14-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time and money doing this for such a low tech tank... I think I may just stick to the Flourish Comprehensive and maybe add some Excel.
Yea, I know what you mean. The liquid ferts like flourish are expensive over time, but they get the job done. I have just started learning to make my own liquid ferts from dry for pennies a year, instead of dollars a month. I killed some fish by adding too much nitrate....but I'm not going to give up because I like saving money. Premixes are a convenience and I like that too. Until you feel like mixing your own, I think the seachem ferts are good enough.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

His diy ei liquid package has the amounts right on the bottles. I got the package shipped with a pound of gh booster for 32$. One bottle of flourish is 15$ from my local petsmart.

If you use his ei liquid package on a low tech tank it would last you a long time. Using metricide instead of excel too and your saving some serious cash.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I ordered Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron from dr.foster and smith for $5 a bottle. I still have my bottle of Flourish comprehensive I got from my LFS for $9 and I have half a bottle left even after using it for 8 months. I think this will be best for me since these bottles should last me a little over a year. Once the bottles come in the mail I have to figure out a dosing schedule.

I was thinking on dosing the excel, iron, and comprehensive on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I do a 25-30% water change on Saturday and add Prime.

I hear some people dose excel every day. I don't think this is necessary for my tank as my anubias has good growth but I just want a little extra boost. A select few of my leaves are a bit yellow, not terrible but noticeable, hence the flourish Iron. Also noteworthy is that this tank is low light (single t8) and low demanding plants. Anubias, marimo moss balls, java moss, and some anacharis I thew in the corner just to see how it does.

Bump:

Bump: Here is a picture just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160513_115308.jpg
Views:	1472
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	630850  

Last edited by Nazasaki; 05-13-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I see marimo moss balls in your tank - I wouldn't use Excel. They are a form of algae and excel will kill them

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Veritas; 05-13-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spellin
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
They are a form of algae and excel will kill them
Yes they are a form of algae but excel in small doses will not harm them. People normally run into issues when the dose is doubled or when putting excel directly onto the marimo.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
ok - do as you will.

for Nicolg's stuff - I trust him. He's a member on here and is pretty active. You could always just PM him.

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Bump:

Bump: Here is a picture just for reference.
Really beautiful tank. I love the use of Marimo Balls. I've never really liked those things but the way you use them in your tank is inspiring. It makes me want to go out and buy some and duplicate your tank. I want that tank in my house.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Really beautiful tank. I love the use of Marimo Balls. I've never really liked those things but the way you use them in your tank is inspiring.
Was about to say the same thing. That's a very good look!

The excel will most likely melt the anacharis. It's one plant that doesnt tolerate it well....at all.

The yellow leaves on the anubias, is it the old growth or new growth affected? New growth could be iron, older leaves it's most likely nitrogen.

Regarding the all in one fert from nilocq. I too would like to see exact amounts listed. Not as concerned with exactly what it contains, his ferts have a good enough reputation already. More interested in exactly how many pppms of each nutrient it provides.

Having said that, it might be just the thing for OP's tank because it should cover the whole range of nutrients plants need. I would be tempted to try it in very small amounts. Im sure there is a dose listed for low tech tanks.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I want that tank in my house.
I have way too much money invested in those marimo than I'd like to admit haha
But by far my favorite aquarium plant!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Was about to say the same thing. That's a very good look!

The excel will most likely melt the anacharis. It's one plant that doesnt tolerate it well....at all.

The yellow leaves on the anubias, is it the old growth or new growth affected? New growth could be iron, older leaves it's most likely nitrogen..
Thank you! And it's the old growth. I did a quick search of nutrient deficiencies in anubias....so far I'm seeing very small signs of potassium and nitrogen deficiency. I'm eagerly awaiting my package of the ferts to arrive. I really want this tank to flourish!

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
I remain skeptical without the metrics. I hate hate hate when the first web page defines the product loosely like ...some of this, some of that. I'm trying not to kill any fish and the fastest way to kill them is with fertilizing. I have a new respect for those on this and other forums that have kept planted tanks with fish while fertilizing. I would be willing to bet 10 bucks that the best planted tanks know exactly how much of any substance is entering their water column, and mix their own fertilizers. So pre-mixed product with hard to find specs will always be suspect to me.
I can understand your point AWolf. I used to measure everything and tried be precise in all that went into my tank (fert wize). I started my dutch tank using PPS pro, then moved on to EI. I met Colin (niloCg) a couple years ago and we've talked quite often and late last year I was telling him that I was always missing daily doses, I asked him if he had something simpler than EI (yes I know it's simple anyway, but I'm lazy). So he told me about his new All-in-one and asked if I would use my tank as a testbed for his new fert. I have a 125g Dutch tank with upwards of 150 fish, 500+ red cherry shrimp, a bamboo shrimp, and some CPO dwarf crays. I started using it in January of 2016 and to be honest, there is very little difference, in terms of results, between EI and Thrive. The difference is that thrive is one bottle that I can dose 3x per week and that's it. I can't remember the last time a fish died and my shrimp colony is thriving so I can say for sure that it is 100% shrimp/fish safe. I think he doesn't want to list the exact recipe because he worked hard to perfect the levels of each ingredient, and it's his business' product that he wants to protect. That being said, I would definitely recommend it if you want to save yourself some trouble. It is a bit more expensive than dry but I'll pay for some convenience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02914a.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	632570  

Name:	DSC02795_crop.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	632578  

Name:	DSC02155_crop.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	632586  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in