2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Algae bloom + snails near top

Hello all. Thanks to this forum, I've learned a ton about this new hobby of mine. My dirted 75g tank is almost done cycling but i seem to have a pretty significant amount of algae growing on the glass (as well as diatoms growing on plants). The algae doesn't appear to have much color. Maybe grayish? Some of it is being eaten by snails (i can see lines where they've eaten and where they missed) but in a few darker spots, they haven't touched. I just started dosing Excel in response to the algae 3 days ago, but haven't seen any effect yet.

Also, all my snails are at the very top of my tank. I first thought it was low O2 so I raised my spray bar higher and angled it down at about 45 degrees so oxygenated water would reach the bottom. It is not high enough to break the surface, but very very close. Since then, my snails seem to venture slightly further down but still not at the bottom.

My question is, could both of these issues be related to water quality? I just ordered a KH and GH kit but otherwise my levels are 6.8-7ph, .5ppm Ammonia, .5ppm Nitrite and 10ppm Nitrate.

All my plants seem fine, if not thriving. I'm very close to adding shrimp and an assassin snail, but I want to make sure everything is OK first. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonedawg08 View Post
Hello all. Thanks to this forum, I've learned a ton about this new hobby of mine. My dirted 75g tank is almost done cycling but i seem to have a pretty significant amount of algae growing on the glass (as well as diatoms growing on plants). The algae doesn't appear to have much color. Maybe grayish? Some of it is being eaten by snails (i can see lines where they've eaten and where they missed) but in a few darker spots, they haven't touched. I just started dosing Excel in response to the algae 3 days ago, but haven't seen any effect yet.

Also, all my snails are at the very top of my tank. I first thought it was low O2 so I raised my spray bar higher and angled it down at about 45 degrees so oxygenated water would reach the bottom. It is not high enough to break the surface, but very very close. Since then, my snails seem to venture slightly further down but still not at the bottom.

My question is, could both of these issues be related to water quality? I just ordered a KH and GH kit but otherwise my levels are 6.8-7ph, .5ppm Ammonia, .5ppm Nitrite and 10ppm Nitrate.

All my plants seem fine, if not thriving. I'm very close to adding shrimp and an assassin snail, but I want to make sure everything is OK first. What do you guys think?
Your algae issues are most likely due to having a newly dirtied tank. With a newly dirtied tank there is a lot of excess nutrients in the water column. If you don't have a heavy load of faster growing plants to use those nutrients then here comes the algae. My best advise to you would be water changes and floating plants to take up a lot of the nutrients.

Is there a biofilm on top of the water(oily film)? If so then the snails are up there feeding of it.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you adding anything like Seachem Prime to reduce the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite?

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Your algae issues are most likely due to having a newly dirtied tank. With a newly dirtied tank there is a lot of excess nutrients in the water column. If you don't have a heavy load of faster growing plants to use those nutrients then here comes the algae. My best advise to you would be water changes and floating plants to take up a lot of the nutrients.

Is there a biofilm on top of the water(oily film)? If so then the snails are up there feeding of it.
There doesn't appear to be a biofilm...

And wouldn't the algae have shown up much sooner if that was the case? I've been cycling for exactly 1 month today
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
There doesn't appear to be a biofilm...

And wouldn't the algae have shown up much sooner if that was the case? I've been cycling for exactly 1 month today
Not necessarily no and that seems like a long time for a cycle.
Tbonedawg08 and Tbonedawg08 like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Are you adding anything like Seachem Prime to reduce the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite?
Nope. The only thing I added prior to the algae was a small dose of ferts once a week. Several days after the second dose is when the algae appeared and the snails went up
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nope. The only thing I added prior to the algae was a small dose of ferts once a week. Several days after the second dose is when the algae appeared and the snails went up

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:
Are you on city water or well water? Also stop adding ferts at this point. What is your plant load right now.

Just a noob

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Are you on city water or well water? Also stop adding ferts at this point. What is your plant load right now.
City water and below is a picture of my tank. Currently I'd call it moderately planted. I have 4 types of fast growing stems, Wisteria, those Swords in the middle, 5 java Ferns, and a philodendron rooted in the top

Quote:
Not necessarily no and that seems like a long time for a cycle.
I honestly don't know why my cycle has been so long. Especially with a consistent source of ammonia (dirt). I wonder if it doesn't have to do with lack of O2 as well?

Here are shots of all my different algae, as well as my setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160512_211117.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	630698  

Name:	20160512_211046.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	630714  

Name:	20160512_210913.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	630722  

Name:	20160512_210854_001.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	630730  

Name:	20160508_222638.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	630738  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well from what I see most of the algae you have is diatoms(brown algae), which is normal for a new set up.

Back to what Jeff said regarding adding a dechlorinator. If you are on city water then you have ammonia coming out of the tap. So when you are doing your water changes you are adding ammonia to your tank which isn't good. Got to your LFS or wherever you get your supplies and buy some dechlorinator. Seachem Prime like Jeff said is what I would recommend and should be added now and whenever you do a water change.

Just a noob

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stop the ferts.. Let the plants/algae suck up the remaining Nitrites/ammonia (guess is it will only take a few more days tops).
Pretty sure that is annoying the snails.. Ammo and nitrites..
Heartily recommend Prime addition...
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Well from what I see most of the algae you have is diatoms(brown algae), which is normal for a new set up.

Back to what Jeff said regarding adding a dechlorinator. If you are on city water then you have ammonia coming out of the tap. So when you are doing your water changes you are adding ammonia to your tank which isn't good. Got to your LFS or wherever you get your supplies and buy some dechlorinator. Seachem Prime like Jeff said is what I would recommend and should be added now and whenever you do a water change.
My mistake. I didn't know what Prime was. Yes I do use Tetra's dechlorinater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode