Hello all,

The following is what I am dosing on my 75g tank:
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-K2S04
3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Pressurized CO2 30ppm
I also use flourish root tabs for most of the plants.

3.4wpg total of CF, 8hrs of photo time. The first 3hrs with just 2 65watt bulbs on, 2 hrs with all 4 bulbs on and the last 3hrs with just 2 bulbs on.

The plants in my tank that should be red/purple/pink ect.... are not showing their colors. I have a bottle of Flourish Iron that I got for free... I have read that dosing more Iron can bring out the colors more. I have been reading and reading and trying to figure this out. I'm sure I am missing something here. I can't really give you much more on the parameters besides Temp is 80,PH6.8, KH4.... I don't do much testing..... Hence the EI method. ($$$ for all the kits also)

Question is; Does anyone think that adding Flourish Iron to my dosing regime will bring out more color? Any advice on this would be great. Even if it's "up the photo time" "up the (blast) photo time", etc..

Thanks everyone!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
dose FE per instructions on bottle. This should help bring out the color in all plants
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
So then, just once a week dose? Would it be okay to add it after I do my sunday WC with my first macro dose?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Flourish Iron uses Gluconate as a chelator which doesn't last long. But, it's supposed to be more easily accessed by plants. Would I would do if possible, is cut back on your traces abit if it includes iron, and dose flourish Iron daily before the lights kick on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Flourish Iron uses Gluconate as a chelator which doesn't last long. But, it's supposed to be more easily accessed by plants. Would I would do if possible, is cut back on your traces abit if it includes iron, and dose flourish Iron daily before the lights kick on.
I dose CSM+B which I beleive includes Iron. How much do you think I should cut back without taking away other elements?

Clint

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I dose CSM+B which I beleive includes Iron. How much do you think I should cut back without taking away other elements?
I would use the fertilator on APC:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

I add CSM+B to get .1 ppm per day and add Flourish Iron to add close to another .1 ppm per day. I add the flourish Iron before the lights kick on. The CSM+B, I add in the evenings with KNO3 in my top off water. I have a 46 gallon Bowfront with 156 watts T5HO lighting and 30 ppm CO2.

Since I do at lease one 50% water change a week, I don't worry if it's to much.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I would use the fertilator on APC:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

I add CSM+B to get .1 ppm per day and add Flourish Iron to add close to another .1 ppm per day. I add the flourish Iron before the lights kick on. The CSM+B, I add in the evenings with KNO3 in my top off water. I have a 46 gallon Bowfront with 156 watts T5HO lighting and 30 ppm CO2.

Since I do at lease one 50% water change a week, I don't worry if it's to much.
Perfect! Thank you! I will figure this all out now. I will also add some pics to this thread later when all the lights are on so you can see what I mean...

Clint

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I'm not sure that iron in itself makes the plants red. I think if it's lacking, the addition contributes to the overall health of the plant so that plants that are naturally red have good healthy growth and display themselves as such.

Anyway, FWIW, I have a 75 with 2x54 T5HO that contains a few red plants. I dose the equivalent of 10 ml of Flourish iron 3 days a week in addition to 15 ml of Flourish. The ferrous gluconate adds approximately 0.7 ppm of Fe per dose in addition to what's added by Flourish.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
You can also get some DTPA 10% IRON CHELATE from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...n-chelate.html. and dose that and the Flourish Fe. I dose 1/4 of a tsp(dry) in my 55g. 3 times/week.

"Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
You can also get some DTPA 10% IRON CHELATE from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...n-chelate.html. and dose that and the Flourish Fe. I dose 1/4 of a tsp(dry) in my 55g. 3 times/week.
+1 on that, I do it as well as GH Booster at WC time and what's in my micro's and I don't seem to ever bottom out on Fe.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I dose 2 to 3 ppm of Fe/week and all I can see is better plant growth and color.

My Fe dosing 3 times/week:

10% DTPA-0.26ppm
Flourish Fe-0.24ppm
CSM+B-0.34ppm
Sprint 138-0.04ppm (6% fully chelated EDDHA iron )
TPN-0.06ppm

"Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode