2Likes
  • 2 Post By nel
  • 2 Post By Zorfox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO water tests at 4 kh?

So I tested my RO water I got from the local grocery store and it tested at 4 kh straight from the container. I've only used this container for RO water. I rinsed the test tube a couple if times first in the RO (dumping rinse water out and not back into container) before testing.
Is this considered a normal possibility for RO water? It's not RO/DI water. Or is the store water not really RO water? Or am I somehow getting a false positive? Thoughts?
In either case 4 is my target (tap water here is very hard 14+ th and tests 9+kh, varies throughout the year). I mostly wonder if I can trust that the water I'm getting is truly 4kh for buffer and not a false positive from some other contaminate. I hope it is good because then I don't have to mess with baking soda and kh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Its probably just RO, not RODI. Even with a new membrane, many minerals are not removed without the DI resin, and their RO membrane may be worn out also.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even normal RO not RODI with working membrane MUST have KH=0, GH=0. So it's not real RO or the membrane is broken. You shouldn't be getting false positive, probably just worn out membrane.
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. It makes my target parameters. I'll continue to use it for now and check the water parameters each time. I'm thinking I'll need to add dechlorinator to the water too then. I hadn't been because I was expecting it to be clean RO.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
R/O removes 90-98% of these minerals. DI removes the rest. A KH of 4 degrees is darn high for R/O.

I had the same problem years ago. I was using water from a grocery store R/O machine. It had high GH and KH. I checked the inspection date and it was over two years expired! I told the manager and it was repaired. After that the numbers were within range. You may want to check the inspection sticker as well as alert the store manager.
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good thought. I checked the label on the unit It says every month the the company that maintains it checks the filters, UV light, tests water parameters, etc. The last day was may 3, 2016. I tested the water again, it tested at 3kh.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

yeah you should check the date on the machine. The RO water that i used to buy had a GH of 3. After the company moved to a new location, im getting KH/GH 0.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I got RO water from a store in a neighbouring town on my way to work. It was same company that serves the water unit as the previous store. Its service date was within a few days of the other one, and I got the water a week later. The water from the new store tested at 0 kh.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

With your tap water at 14+ i would look into buying a RO system and just mix the two.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>><((((>`. .`..`...><((((>.
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode