FeEDDHA Made a Difference - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
FeEDDHA Made a Difference

I've been putting a tiny amount of feEDDHA in all of my tanks while I use up the last of my Aqueon Plant Food fertilizer, and there is a marked difference in the plants. Growth, green, and RED dwarf lilies. I stir in a pinch a little bigger than the tip of a ball point pen. The water turns slightly tannin colored.

I have been neglecting my lilies all winter, and most of the leaves had turned translucent, gotten very small, and melted off of the bulbs. So I put the good bulbs in my tanks with the FeEDDHA and in two weeks they have grown to the surface in a 29g, and I've been pinching the surface leaves back. Bulbs do love iron.

My dwarf lily bulbs have never done very well in hydroponic fertilizers, and feeding the bulbs separately from other plants was my only option. At this point, it appears the fully chelated iron makes a big difference.

I'll be making my own aquarium fertilizer using this FeEDDHA for sure. I don't recommend it for those who don't like the 'tannin' look. It's not a bad look to me at all.

tapwater and tapwater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
how many ppm of FeEDDHA did you add?

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
how many ppm of FeEDDHA did you add?
Don't know. Just a tiny pinch. It won't measure on my gram scale. Very small amount. I put more in my 55g. Less in my 10g. Even the tiniest amount will change your water color. I just added minuscule amounts until I liked the color of the tank.

P.S. I can say that I use a 1/4 tsp to dip into the iron container and put a bit of powder just on the edge of the tsp. Not 'in' the teaspoon.

P.S.S. The 'tannin' effect lasts a week easily. So it will probably have a cumulative effect unless that iron is used up. After a week and a 50% water change, I added another pinch or two until the water color looks nice. Without a water change, I believe the color would last many weeks. It's highly available iron waiting to be taken up by the plants, and I like that.

Last edited by AWolf; 04-29-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: P.S.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where did you get it? Link?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What PH is your tank water?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidcrab View Post
Where did you get it? Link?
Southern States Supply Store, Virginia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
What PH is your tank water?
Just measured,
6.6 pH
4dKH
Temp 76F

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-30-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
At that ph you could get by with DTPA or even EDTA if, the color bothers you later.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
At that ph you could get by with DTPA or even EDTA if, the color bothers you later.
But I was using EDTA. It didn't produce this nice growth. I'm adding the fully chelated along with the EDTA in Aqueon or Leaf Zone ferts. I want to use up these EDTA ferts so I can mix up my own using Fully chelated iron. I like the look, and the results. I should try the DTPA mixes. But for now I'm going to stick with this stuff.

Also, EDTA is sufficient below 6.3. I've also seen it stated to be even lower than 6.3 pH. So I'm still not in the range for EDTA.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Planted Member

Where were the Lily bulbs prior to this and when did you put them in your tank?

Using Tapatalk
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBoYReX View Post
Where were the Lily bulbs prior to this and when did you put them in your tank?
I've had them for at least three years, they have multiplied so I have them in four of seven tanks now. They have really taken off since I added the fully chelated iron.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm no fert expert so this may be a stupid question. Could this be used as root tabs which would be really useful in high cec substrates? Or maybe a light sprinkling on the bottom of the tank when setting up, again highly useful with a high cec substrate? Bad idea? Wont work at all? Seems to me if this would work it might reduce the discoloring of the water.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I'm no fert expert so this may be a stupid question. Could this be used as root tabs which would be really useful in high cec substrates? Or maybe a light sprinkling on the bottom of the tank when setting up, again highly useful with a high cec substrate? Bad idea? Wont work at all? Seems to me if this would work it might reduce the discoloring of the water.
I can only tell you that if you get this powder anywhere near water, it will turn the water red. I doubt substrate could hold it out of the water column. It might look really interesting as it streams up and out like a red volcanic explosion. It behaves exactly like red food coloring in water.

This is from my first experiment with it in water. I put just under 1 gram in the water and got this:

Last edited by AWolf; 04-30-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Add Picture
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It looks like a shark attach happened in that water lol. Ok so what if this iron was used to lets say pre-charge sts or part of mineralizing a soil?
tapwater and tapwater like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
It looks like a shark attach happened in that water lol. Ok so what if this iron was used to lets say pre-charge sts or part of mineralizing a soil?
I don't know, but I do know that the tiny amount I'm using, which causes a tannin effect, is making a difference in my lilies. My other plants look very good as well, but I had them in the original iron test tank in the picture, so they should be better off from it. But the lilies were dosed with just this tiny amount and changed almost overnite from small brownish leaves or no leaves at all, to nice red and green leaves. The bulbs with no leaves have sprouted and look very good. So I think it is the iron.

I'm picking up some calcium nitrate today to help with iron absorption. I'm trying to mix my own recipe with this stuff.
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Got the Calcium Nitrate

Ok, I'll never ever need any calcium nitrate again. 15 dollars for a 50lb bag. Ha! Ridiculous amount of stuff. I'd need to live a few lifetimes to use it all up in my aquariums.

They didn't have it in the economy size.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode