• 2 Post By MCSLABS
  • 2 Post By jaliberti
  • 2 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
pH way too low?

So with pressurized CO2 my pH is around 6.4 and my KH is either 3 or 4 (I couldn't tell). The only thing that has changed recently was me doing a 50% water change of RO water instead of tap.

There are no signs of oxygen problems with my fish though so I can't imagine there is too much CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
In my tank with CO2 KH is around 2 and pH sometimes gets as low as 6.2, everything is fine though. So don't worry, just be careful of sudden big changes of pH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
In my tank with CO2 KH is around 2 and pH sometimes gets as low as 6.2, everything is fine though. So don't worry, just be careful of sudden big changes of pH.
Ok, I was thinking it was because of the big water change because my tap pH is pretty high.

According the kH/pH chart with my kH being around 3-4 and my pH being 6.4ish, it would put my CO2 in the danger zone but there are no signs of stress from my fish.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This charts are mostly not accurate, so don't worry.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
This charts are mostly not accurate, so don't worry.
Cool thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Planted Member

"pH way too low" for which species? it's too high for many.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was more concerned about the pH being so low for the fact that I have pressurized CO2. But I have cory cats
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are many species of Corydoras. Most are pretty adaptable to pH and changes in pH as long as the GH is in the right range for the species.
Padres1234 and Padres1234 like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
My pH drops to 5.4 or so during the day and my Cory cats are happy as can be. Don't worry about them, they'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 11:09 AM
Planted Member

RO water has very low mineral content, this relates to a low alkalinity, which makes pH very difficult to stabilize. When you then inject CO2 rather than it creating carbonates you are creating carbonic acid which is driving your pH down.

Learning what I can..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres1234 View Post
... I have cory cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
There are many species of Corydoras...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
My pH drops to 5.4 or so during the day and my Cory cats are happy as can be. Don't worry about them, they'll be fine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSLABS View Post
RO water has very low mineral content, this relates to a low alkalinity, which makes pH very difficult to stabilize...
At least 2 species of Corydoras thrive in pH levels as low as 4.0 Corydoras melini ? False Bandit Cory ? Seriously Fish Corydoras adolfoi ? Adolfo?s Cory ? Seriously Fish

RO water, rainwater, distilled water, has very low mineral content, this relates to a low pH, it's soft it is acidic and it is very low in TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) - which means it contains a higher ratio of real, pure water. (Less TDS = more water, as water is a liquid not a solid.)

This as opposed to high mineral content, high pH, hard, alkaline, and high in TDS - which means it contains a lower ratio of real, pure water. (More TDS = less water.)

Species which are known to thrive in water of the former description are also much more adapted to fluctuations in pH, as wind, rain, drought, bioload, etc, all cause wider pH fluctuations in "blackwater" regions than in regions of alkaline waterways.

Therefore that it "makes pH very difficult to stabilize" is moot, as acidic water fish have been in it since the dinosaurs.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSLABS View Post
RO water has very low mineral content, this relates to a low alkalinity, which makes pH very difficult to stabilize. When you then inject CO2 rather than it creating carbonates you are creating carbonic acid which is driving your pH down.
If you add 30 ppm of CO2 to any water it will drop the pH by about 1.0, whether the pH starts at 7.6 or 6.6. In other words you can't buffer the water against pH changes caused by CO2. But, you can buffer it against pH changes caused by other acidic substances, such as tannic acid. Low alkalinity just means the pH will be low vs what it would be with high alkalinity.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode