Anyone use this? Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone use this? Co2

Anyone use this with any luck?

They also have a higher upgrade version model that's roughly 40 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Several questions immediately come to mind. How would you get the CO2 to be produced continuously? How long would each tab last? How cost effective is this solution?

For 40 dollars, you are almost 1/3 of the way to a pressurized system. If you don't want to use a pressurized system, then DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar would be much cheaper.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Pressurized is my next move (6 months), although I'm still trying to decide on a regulator.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So pressurized co2 systems are about $150? I would like one, but I need to do more research. Not like any fish stores sell em either.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know i'll get bashed for saying this but I love Milwaukee company. I called them and told them I had a reg. several years old, that the needle valve was clogged, and the bubble counter leaked, and no questions asked, they sent me a replacement valve and counter. Got it two days later. It's a decent reg/ but its single stage and could be upgraded to one of our sponsors dualies.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
None of our sponsors sell dual stage regulators, to my knowledge. They sell nice regs, but they are single stage. Victor is the common dual stage, and members here find them on ebay usually, at good prices.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Isnt the RG a dualie? I swore I saw a big pimple off the back. And what about GLA https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/gr...reen-leaf.html ? HMMM?

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler79durdan View Post
Isnt the RG a dualie? I swore I saw a big pimple off the back. And what about GLA https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/gr...reen-leaf.html ? HMMM?
Nope. Rex uses a cornelius reg. Decent, quaility, but nothing special. Orlando would advertise all over if they were dual stage, but he doesn't. They are good regs, but they are not dual stage.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler79durdan View Post
As our esteemed colleague pointed out, none of our sponsors sell dual stage regulators, but you will see a lot of our members bragging about theirs... muhaaahhaaaa. They are like the Farrari of co2. I'd be willing to bet O_S has got one... dirty dog, why else would he sh*# in my wheaties this fine morning?
Nope! I am running co2 free right now! My 75G riparium using metracide as an excel replacement(20 bucks for 1 gallon!) and It is doing great. It is technically low/medium light though, since the fixture hangs about a foot above the tank.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I've never used a two stage reg for aquarium applications and I've always been happy.

Either watch your cylinder and refill immediately once it drops below 500 psig, or get a pH controller.

__
__
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I've never used a two stage reg for aquarium applications and I've always been happy.

Either watch your cylinder and refill immediately once it drops below 500 psig, or get a pH controller.
Agreed, I guess it could be easy to miss that point here. There are a load of good single stage regulators. Rex's, GLA's, Sumo's, and even milwaukee regs are good if you scrap the needle valve.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Clearly I have a lot to learn. What's a needle valve and why isn't the one that comes with the Milwaukee any good. Also, where do you get a needle valve and which one is preferred?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Orlando is now selling the Smith Regulators that are susposed to be as good as the Dual Stage, I know it weighs as much as the old dual stage I had. I'll see if O- will drop in and give his information on it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Thanks for the invite Craig!

Believe it or not folks, technology advances almost daily. Can you believe it?
Smith single stage regulators have the latest in seat technology that works the same as a dual stage regulator without all the added weight and adjustment, although still a hefty 7LBS.
Decay and rise is virtually non existent in these regulators at 0.04psi per 100psi drop in pressure. So there you have it...

Thanks Craig!

-O
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Leaf Aquariums View Post
Thanks for the invite Craig!

Believe it or not folks, technology advances almost daily. Can you believe it?
Smith single stage regulators have the latest in seat technology that works the same as a dual stage regulator without all the added weight and adjustment, although still a hefty 7LBS.
Decay and rise is virtually non existent in these regulators at 0.04psi per 100psi drop in pressure. So there you have it...

Thanks Craig!

-O
See there O_S, I told you he had some cool shtuff! Its LIKE a dualie...
And you are right its not, but the dual seat thing had me for a few.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode