Dosing KNO3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to McGornel Send a message via Skype™ to McGornel
Dosing KNO3

So I'm kinda confused about how much to dose. I was looking on the dosing calculator from Green Leaf, and I was wondering how you get the suggested amount of potassium into the aquarium without blasting it off the charts with NO3, or will that large amount not matter until the WC?

I have the 1000mL dispenser bottle and am looking to dose KNO3 in my 29g with a Nitrate of <5. Does anyone have a recommendation for the amount to dissolve in the bottle, or a site that can help me figure out how much more clearly?

Thanks,

Mike

The Swamp.....Where only Gators get out ALIVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Chuck has a simple to use fert calculator to make solutions like you want: http://csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

The fertilator calculates the amount of NO3 and K in KNO3 whereas Chuck's calculator only calculates the NO3. (You can calculate the amount of K in a KNO3 dose. You multiply the ppm of NO3 by 0.63 to get the K level.)

from the fertilator: 0.895 grams in 29* gal of water = 5.00 ppm of NO3 and 3.15 ppm K (0.900 grams is 5.03 ppm NO3 and 3.17 ppm K)

* You might want to enter 25 gal instead of 29 gal in the calculators because this approximates the actual amount of water.

These two calculator should fix you up.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to McGornel Send a message via Skype™ to McGornel
That's the calculator I was using. He says the recommended target for K is 15-20 ppm, and trying to keep the NO3 down around 5 while trying to reach that level is near impossible? Am I just missing something? Or is that extra NO3 to reach the required K not going to be a problem?

The Swamp.....Where only Gators get out ALIVE!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You should use KNO3 for nitrate, and other sources for potassium. KNO3 should not be your only fertilizer. Chucks page give pretty good directions. All of the macros we use have K in them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGornel View Post
That's the calculator I was using. He says the recommended target for K is 15-20 ppm, and trying to keep the NO3 down around 5 while trying to reach that level is near impossible? Am I just missing something? Or is that extra NO3 to reach the required K not going to be a problem?
The advice is a bit dated and the cal is still there, but the advice should be modified.

I'd say 10-30ppm is a better target for NO3.
20-30ppm or thereabouts for K+, does not matter that much.

Above these are fine as well, but you are not getting much benefit from it.
Below, you can run into limiting levels of nutrients in some cases.

Light/CO2 are more important to consider.
Focus obsessive compulsive there, not with nutrients, add them/dose, be done with it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My tanks seem to run to so much NO3 already that I do not need to dose much. Similar about the PO4.
The amount of K that I get when I dose the proper levels of these for N and P is so little that I do not count it as a real source of K.

I use K2SO4 for potassium, and I dose a lot of it. My test: The plants do not have holes in the leaves when there is enough K in the tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
How much K2SO4 for a low light 15 watt on for 8 hours over a 10 gallon soft water tank (150 TDS) CRS tank, with no ferts and no CO2, but stuffed with moss, anubias nana petite and java fern 'Philippine'? I was thinking of starting off with a Smidgen 1-2x per week.

David

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode